Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Where'd the 3.73s come from?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where'd the 3.73s come from?

After a long 2 days of getting calls from the tranny shop telling me that more and more stuff was needing replaced I got called by the tech telling me that the gears I bought from Thunder are not the right type or if they are I would need a new carrier ( $300 + rear end rebuild )

So I called Thunder right away to get the scoop from Paul and the gang up there. They like always are more then helpfull and even got on the phone to help the tech with the install. Personally this just kicks *ss for a company to help another place install the parts they sell. MAJOR THUMBS UP!!! Well after having Paul first explain to the dude what was up and then later Shawn(or Sean not sure ) go through identifying just why the motive 3.73s I got should be a simple ( if a diff install can be called simple ) replacement. Thats when Shawn asked about what was on the car from the factory. 3.42 is on everything I have, dealer list, and slp sheet. So Shawn asks how many teeth are on the Gear and Pinion. Hmm 41 gear and 11 pinion = 3.73 gears

SOOOOO after that long story. Where did they come from, its not on the dealer price sheet, its not on SLPs build sheet and I am the only owner.

1. GM messed up and gave me a nice present
2. SLP messed up and gave me a nice present
3. Dealer was letting kids or even THE SALES GUYS beat the hell out of my car before I got it, broke something in the rearend thus replacing it with the first thing they had because they had to get it something in before I picked it up. ( I would say this one )

pcm tune not updated to show 3.73 ls1edit stock tune shows 3.42 and efi showing the same.

Yes I am happy that I have 3.73s all along and didn't pay for them, unhappy that I paid a shop to tear down my diff for nothing ( $300 ) Although they(GM or the Dealer) did not put back in an EOM or GM stock 3.73s with the series 3 carrier.

So any chance having the wrong gear ratio in the PCM could have assisted in the tranny needing rebuilt, or perhaps #3 above did damage to the tranny and rear end and they only replaced the gears? I babied this SS, taking it to the SLP days drag racing once, and the occasional playing on the way to work, maybe 5 burns on the clutch if that.

Also one other positive, I now know what the ring, pinion, and carrier are in the diff, along with the shims and crush bearings Damn the drama, I just wanted it to take off better then what I thought was stock.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update:
Just for a sanity check I dug through and found all my original paperwork.

Nothing factory changed, and all SLP did was the Dual Dual exhaust, floor mats, key fobs and ZR1 rims. definitely not 3.73 rear end
Old 02-22-2006, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

thats weird
Old 02-22-2006, 04:55 AM
On The Tree

If you have the aluminum AAM diff cover from SLP, then they did remove your diff to install it. The AAM has an oil passage through the back which mates up with some holes in the axle that a stock lid gasket normally covers. They have to pull the diff and axles out to grind an oil passage near each bearing. You don't have to remove the pinion to do that, but maybe they do that too to make it easier to clean out all the grinding debris.

Maybe they put the wrong gears back in.

Both 3.42 and 3.73 gears would normally be on a 3 series carrier. 2.7 (2.72 or 2.73, don't remember) gears normally come on a 2 series carrier, but you can get "thick" gears to run 3.x (and 4.10) on a 2 series.