LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

backfiring after Long tube install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backfiring after Long tube install

i just got my Lt's and ORY put on today. i had to replace two O2 sensors, one upstream and one downstream because we couldn't get them out of the old manifolds. When i started the car up it sounded like crap and ran like it too. the mechanic told me it needed new plug wires and we checked it and the 5 wire had been laying against the headers and had melted. i rotated the wire boot so that it tightened the wire and got it away from the header and it ran like a dream. On the way home from the shop my car started backfiring while the car was idling, around 800-750rpm. im gonna change the wires tomorrow but i wanted to know, is this something that will go away with more driving or will more repairs need to be done to eliminate the backfiring?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6#17
i just got my Lt's and ORY put on today. i had to replace two O2 sensors, one upstream and one downstream because we couldn't get them out of the old manifolds. When i started the car up it sounded like crap and ran like it too. the mechanic told me it needed new plug wires and we checked it and the 5 wire had been laying against the headers and had melted. i rotated the wire boot so that it tightened the wire and got it away from the header and it ran like a dream. On the way home from the shop my car started backfiring while the car was idling, around 800-750rpm. im gonna change the wires tomorrow but i wanted to know, is this something that will go away with more driving or will more repairs need to be done to eliminate the backfiring?
Thanks
It seems like it's just misfiring. You should be fine once you replace the plug wires. Make sure the plug wire boots are on the plugs securely too.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea if this is the same thing you are describing, but I saw that happen once on an LT1 when they left out a donut in an exhaust manifold. Are you sure the whole pipe assembly is tightened up and without air gaps?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Teching In

yeah the exhaust piping is all welded up, the end of the y-pipe and at the y-pipe extentions. so i don't think it is a leak at the moment. but ill know tomorrow afternoon for sure hopefully. also should i get some over the valve cover wires? if so what kind would be recommended.
Thanks

Last edited by ws6#17; 02-21-2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

if you had a big change in backpressure that would cause it i have a dump at on pipe right after the axle, and mine backfires a little when the dump is open
Old 02-21-2006, 08:22 PM
Launching!

had the same exact thing happen to me, i just replaced the wires with a thin set (mine happend with thick msd wires)
Old 02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

I have MSD 8.5mm wires and have no back fire problem what so ever. BTW, do get the over the valve cover wire looms.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6#17
Thanks
usually when you have heat damaged plug wires, they will run okay until the car reaches operating temperature...then they tend to start missing. Just replace them and make sure none are in close proximity to the headers.
I run AS&M headers, and wire routing is a bitch. It took me two sets of plug wires to get it so they wouldn't melt.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's simply time to upgrade to high heat wires and cover them in even more heat protection. It's really something that should be done by everyone as soon as they install headers.

Quick Reply: backfiring after Long tube install