General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

these squeeks are driving me insane

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default these squeeks are driving me insane

It's true what they say, these cars are awesome but good lord do they have sqeeks from every part.

My biggest headache is coming from my belts. I changed belts about 4 weeks ago. This didn't stop the constant squeek. I figured it was probably the idler pulley so I replaced this last saturday and thankfully the sqeek stopped....for all of 2 days. It started back up today. Seems it is only making the sound at low rpms, it goes away when I'm driving and seems to also go away at idle after the car has been driven for a few miles. Any ideas? Could it be tensioner pulley?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some of that "anti-squeak" crap from the auto store. Or you can always squirt some dish soap on there.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the most part it's just something you have to deal with. But Subframe Connectors tend to stiffen thigns up, and reduce all the little squeaks and rattles. Overall, I would rather deal with my cars problems and have an F-Body, than drive a Mustang or something lol.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Get some of that "anti-squeak" crap from the auto store. Or you can always squirt some dish soap on there.
I was skeptical if that would work, do I just spray it on the belt or in the pulleys?

don't get me wrong, I love my f-body and it's awesome with reliability, just the little things that drive me crazy lol
Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

To be honest, I have never used the "anti-squeak" crap from the auto store. I would imagine that you would just spray it on the inside of the belt.
I used dish soap.
Just rub some on the belt. You know you got 2 belts (one for AC/one for all others) so, start with one and see if it goes away. If not, then do the other.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Launching!

I'll try it with some soap tomorrow. I rub it on the inside on the belt, the part that's touching the pulleys?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrisryn64
I'll try it with some soap tomorrow. I rub it on the inside on the belt, the part that's touching the pulleys?
Yeppers.. Just rub some soap on the inside of the belt (where the grooves are). Just dont cake it with soap as it will end up all of the inside of your hood. (its soap so you might clean it while taking it off.. lol)

Thats what I was told to use and it fixed my squeaking problem. Just dont use grease or anything along that lines as it might cause the belt to slip. Told me soap would work fine as it woulnt dry out the belt either.. Cood luck.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

don't use the belt conditioner...total crap. i'd give the soap a try though.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Teching In

if you have already replaced BOTH belts, then id go straight for the pullies, u said you already replaced the idler, hit the lower and upper tensioner pulleys next, check every pully using a stethescope or long *** screwdriver holding it from the pully center to your ear, youll know right away which one it is, anyone of the bearings inside couldve gone bad
Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

don't use the "no sqeak" stuff, it says on the can not to be used w/poly belts like we have. check your a/c pully, the bearings might be shot. turn on the a/c at idle and see if there is a difference. thats what happened to mine. it was quiet when cold, but once warmed up it sqeaked like mad at idle. as far as squeaks go, my t-top on the drivers side makes a lot of noise! although reluctant to "lube" it as i do not want the top to fly off on the freeway as they tend to have a rep for doing that on their own!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Launching!

its the tensioner mine is doing the same thing at low rpm it happens when u start modding ur car, the pulley can't keep up/ I would up grade to a performance tensioner so u don't have to worry about it again.