General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Moisture in reverse light

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture in reverse light

It doesn’t really rain here but after washing my car I notices one of my reverse lights gets condensation on the inside. I am assuming that it is just a bad seal but I am not sure about how to get the damn thing out. Once I get it out what do I need to do to reseal it?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 02-22-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Take it off the car, put a soft rag/towel in it to remove all the mosture.
Afterwards take some clear or black RTV and seal along the top of it and around that side. Should take care of it, it cured my problem on my T/A.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Cool, but how do I get the light off?

~Alex
Old 02-22-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Lust
Cool, but how do I get the light off?

~Alex

Its got 3-4 thumb screws inside the car under the side carpet.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Cool, thanks I will give that a shot this weekend.

~Alex
Old 03-15-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

what part do I seal? where the light goes in? I just took it off and am not sure

~Alex
Old 03-15-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Lust
what part do I seal? where the light goes in? I just took it off and am not sure

~Alex
Run a bead of silicone (or RTV) along the seam where the lens mates to the light housing. Get the top and sides real good.

I recently did this to both of my front turn signal housings. I purchased new ones as my original lens both developed vertical cracks right down the middle. Water was pouring in a blowing bulbs left and right. I ended up getting some plumbers clear silicone. It drys some what pliable (sp?) so it'll expand and contract with the temp and it's water proof. The stuff only takes a couple hours to get tacky, which allowed me to apply one more bead to make sure I had it good and sealed. They haven't leaked yet.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 03-16-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nytmare1
I purchased new ones as my original lens both developed vertical cracks right down the middle... Marc
Get a magnifying glass and examine those "cracks" closely, those slits aren't cracks - they are perfectly square little rectangles with very smooth edges. They were purposely designed into the lense face.

Why? only GM knows....

I've heard people say that they have purchased new ones that no longer have this design flaw, though I've yet to see one without it.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Get a magnifying glass and examine those "cracks" closely, those slits aren't cracks - they are perfectly square little rectangles with very smooth edges. They were purposely designed into the lense face.
No... the cracks I had were actual gaps in the plastic lenses. Each of them were wide enough that I could slip a toothpick through the crack and into the lens housing. I had to look at it closely though as the lenses have horizontal and verticle lines. The gaps blended right in and were hard to see from more than a couple feet away. Not to mention that the water and constant condensation had faded away the reflective coating on the inside of the housing. The new lenses reflect the light much better so they are brighter than the old ones. Needless to say, I've sealed the new housings and at the first sign of condensation, I'll jerk those things out and reseal them. I'm also considering applying that protective film to the lenses to keep them from cracking again.

Marc
Old 03-16-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some moisture too in the same light on the right one, but I havent really looked into it one of these days though.