Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Tail light laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tail light laws

ok reading directly from the manual in Oregon the reflector is where the smoked tail lights get hurt. They need to be seen 500 ft on hi-beams. So you can smoke them but then you need to add reflectors some where else. OR use a low percent block and test them I guess. What I did not find was the size requirement for said reflector. red reflector tape in the camaro letters would be an example of skirting the law maybe but it states that a vehicle needs two reflectors on either side of the vehicle. Not real specific as where on the back. So leftmiddle and rightmiddle could be considered legal which would be the indented camaro letters on my car. Just how cheesey would red reflective letters look on the back though is the question. Just might have to leave it the way it is. Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it say the reflectors have to be red?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Banned

Yes red in the rear and amber for the front
Old 02-24-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

I imagine they are supposed to mark the corners of the car so you may not be able to get away with the "CAMARO" on the back.

As for how it would look, I had black reflective in the "PONTIAC" on my car and it did not look bad at all. It just took an act of congress to get it in there properly.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

I've seen several black camaro's with the red in the CAMARO and they look all right. It kind of goes with the red bowtie on the lower right of the rear of the car. But I agree with howierd that the reflectors are suppose to mark the edges of the car. I have chrome letters in mine on the rear.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

I bought the laser cut polished stainless set to replace all emblems so I'll have the chrome looking bowtie in back. Theres no provision in the law as to having to be on the side of the vehicle in the back so its open to interpretation. I remeber some cars haveing one solid bar in back from the factory. The intent is to identify that its a car and size and not a motorcycle is my guess. My thought is the safe way would be to consult the DMV directly. Having to be seen at 500 feet is the key. I could always get some magnetic reflectors for night time driving. Who cares what it looks like from behind at night.

Quick Reply: Tail light laws