Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt-on performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt-on performance

I've had my 2000 ws6 Bird for about 3 months and am finally looking to mod. If I get an 85mm throttle body, slp maf (tuned), ls6 intake, and smooth bellow.. The stock engine components can handle that right? Are there any other bolt ons.Or minor Mechanical work for more HP
Old 02-23-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

definately do headers its a double orgasm POWER AND SOUND you should get about 30hp gain from longtubes maybe more on the ws6
Old 02-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Are you kidding you can run a wet 100 shot of nitrous and not hurt your internals! If i were you i'd look into getting a lid and filter and a good exhaust system. Get a set of headers, if you got the money go with a set of either kooks or QTP headers (i prefer QTP since they lowered their HVMC headers price), if your a little strapped for cash pacesetter is a decent header, get a good y-pipe, and your choice of a catback (true duals are nice sounding but hang low, borla and corsa are real good, GMMG is awesome sounding but loud, and there are a few others like magnaflow and SLP) and you could get an underdrive pulley.

You also really want to start to upgrade your suspension. Look into getting a new set of shocks, springs, panhard rod, lower control arms, torque arm, etc... Many of these suspension parts depend on your use with the car and of course budget. Do your research, use the search and ask lots of questions! Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CNVRTmyZ
definately do headers its a double orgasm POWER AND SOUND you should get about 30hp gain from longtubes maybe more on the ws6

30hp? wow what are you smoking. You might see more like 10-20rwhp, but yes, you won't hurt anything with any bolt ons.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:06 AM
Teching In

Don't waste your hard earn cash on a new maf or smooth bellows. You won't see crap out of them. The stock maf flows plenty good enough for what you seem to want to do. Also, instead of the smooth bellow, get an airbox lid.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
30hp? wow what are you smoking. You might see more like 10-20rwhp, but yes, you won't hurt anything with any bolt ons.
hey, he never specified rwhp flywheel HP, give em' a break....

Last edited by 98TADRIVER; 02-24-2006 at 04:00 AM. Reason: .
Old 02-24-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy983
I've had my 2000 ws6 Bird for about 3 months and am finally looking to mod. If I get an 85mm throttle body, slp maf (tuned), ls6 intake, and smooth bellow.. The stock engine components can handle that right? Are there any other bolt ons.Or minor Mechanical work for more HP
Lot of opinions on this one?

Try the link in my sig MOD GUIDE.

IMO don't get the 85mm TB or the MAF or the smooth bellows.

Reasons:
-85mm BBK, has been known to cause problems and better options
-MAF, stock one is fine for 500bhp+
-Bellows, does nothing. It you really want it do the Fernco mod, sane thing but for less than $10 . Try the sticky in this forum.

Personally I think a good combo would be:
-Lid (any, SLP, TSP, MTI) and stock paper filter
-LS6 intake (FAST 90 is great but IMO pricey for the gains)
-Port your own TB, it's free or can be done for $75. And will out perform the BBK IMO
Or
-TPIS offer a 90mm TB for the LS6 intake an oval one (custom LS6 intake) and a round one (which you need to email as it's not listed on their site that I can see)
-catback exhaust or custom duals
-LT headers and ORY or catted Y

Are you A4 or M6?

If an auto get a stall and a tranny cooler (Fuddle or Yank)
Old 02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Like I told someone the other day a Type R or Gt-R badge and an APC window sticker is dyno proven for 200 plus horses ......No jus messing with ya man....You can never go wrong with a good set of LT's and an exhaust with a new lid.......A good tune is also a great idea if you dont have any major mods in the near future(cam, nitrous, heads, etc.)
Old 02-26-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
hey, he never specified rwhp flywheel HP, give em' a break....
thanks buddy, i havent even got mine installed yet they are just sitting in my room im terrified to put them on cause i have to pass emissions, no visual but i hear about peoples horror stories from throwin multiple codes other than rear 02's and theyre cars running like crap.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't have to worry at all about those mods or bolt-ons doing anything to the engine. The LS1 is good for a lot of power, a lot more than you seem interested in making.

As far as bolt-ons go, definately do long tubes, ORY, and a catback. You could do an electric cutout if you want, some people really like them. Then there is always a pulley, the much debated electric water pump, and the lite-weight stuff (lite-weight flywheel, Carbon fiber drive-shaft...) you will also want suspension stuff as stated above. At some point you will probably need a better clutch as well. Haha. If $$$$ is flashing in your mind...well...that just comes with these cars and modding them.

Make sure you read the 'So you want to be fast' sticky at the top. And happy modding!!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
I gained 48rwhp on just kooks,gmmg, and asp underdrive pullies!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to echo 300bhp/ton, a lid (any of them will net you the same hp gain), catback, and LT headers and Y pipe (with or without cats depending if you have emissions to pass) LS6 intake would be a nice addition as well
If that's all you want to do, I'd recommend a tune, but if you have more in mind, you'll probably want to hold off on the tune
This'll give you a pretty quick T/A, without much compromise in day to day drivability
Old 03-01-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you've got money LT headers and true duals are amazing, but you first mods should be lid, ported throttle body, maybe super sucker ram air or fast toys ram air, sub frame connectors, and some kind of exhaust. If you want to stick to the $100, 10 horsepower exhaust mod, get a cut out. If you want to spend over a grand and gain ~25 hp, and KILLER sound get the LTs and TDs

Quick Reply: Bolt-on performance