LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Converting 94 opti to 95 opti what all do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting 94 opti to 95 opti what all do i need?

Hey guys i have a 94 Z28 and when i install my new engine, what all do i need to covert my 94 opti-spark to a 95 opti-spark. I just have bought the timing cover i know i'll need that. What else would i need, can someone chim in on this? Thanx guys.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Different dowel in the cam (longer). The 95 opti is cam dowel driven, the 94 opti is spline driven from the special cam gear. Make sure the dowel doesn't protrude past .6" from the cam surface (or you'll warp and eat the opti in short order). If you're going to go all the way, you'll also need a piece of tubing for the vent, and you'll need somewhere to connect it to (a vented 1LE elbow works). I can't recall if the electrical connector is different or not, but I think it is (been a while since I did it). If it is, you'd need to replace the small harness that goes from right next to the throttle body down to the opti connector.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Were could i get all the necessary parts for the conversion. I am purchasing the Timing cover next week along with a bare waterpump housin cause i'll be running an electric water pump on the new engine.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this link should cover everything you will need.

http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html

make sure you go over it carefully. the dowel pin length is not the only difference in the cams as most people think. it is possible to swap cams from vented to nonvented cars without a problem, but not the other way around. you WILL have to get a cam from a vented car or have that front center hole machined to accept the vented opti.