View Full Version : I wrecked my Colorado...

DrEvyl
02-24-2006, 10:56 AM
...about 30 minutes ago. It's pretty screwed up, not drivable. Probably fixable, but the whole grille and bumper area is toast, pushed back about 8" or so. Airbags deployed. Passenger side tire popped.

I still smell like deployed airbags. I don't think I was injured.. my neck is a little stiff and I feel like I got punched in the face.

I was almost to work.... and yeah, it was icy this morning from the rain last night. It kills me because the area out by where I live was TERRIBLE compared to the city and I got through there without a hitch.

Anyway, I took the exit off the freeway to go to my office, and I was in the far left lane going across an overpass over railroad tracks, hit a patch of ice and started sliding... I slid across all three lanes, clipped a guy in a Ford Ranger on the bumper.. just busted out his tailight and dented his rear bumper... then I went nose first into a concrete guardrail.

Looks like one of the 'Birds is gonna be pressed into daily driving duty for a while.

VIKING
02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
So sorry to hear about the wreck. :( Hope your neck doesn't give you any problems. Take it easy today. You start getting to feeling any worse get yourself to the doctor. :judge: Thankfully it wasn't one of the Purple Twins. :)

TwoFast4Lv
02-24-2006, 11:08 AM
DAMN! Sorry to hear that Zeke!

It was actually nice out here. The commute was good but it is Snowing pretty good in Snohomish.

Sorry for the loss

WAHUSKER
02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
That sucks Zeke!!! :( But thank God you weren't driving a purple car....

y2k_ta
02-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Well I'm not from your neck of the woods, but you post a lot in the Firebird Forum so I feel like I kind of know you :). Sorry to hear that happened to you and your truck. Thankfully you come out of it unhurt, and didn't hurt anyone else in the process.

Rokko
02-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Damn, sorry to hear that Zeke. That sucks. :(

Gonna use the T/A instead of the Formy?

Mikey 97Z M6
02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Ouch,,, that sucks man sorry to hear it. Hopefully you're not injured more than you realize right now. You'll probably get more sore as the day progesses.

Ya, bridges and overpasses are always more likely to be icy in these kind of conditions. I grew up in W. Montana and it never failed that a car/truck would be on it's lid, on the 'other' side of a freeway bridge in snowy/icy conditions. :(

Mike

krazzycowgirl
02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Man Zeke sorry to hear that. Take it easy this weekend & if nothing else just go see the good old DR

99blancoSS
02-24-2006, 11:45 AM
:eek2: damn, sounds like you had a hell of a ride. Glad your ok, and no one got hurt. You'll be pretty stiff tomorrow. Might want to go get checked out so you can get some muscle relaxers that you'll pro'lly need. OR could pass on :jest:

DrEvyl
02-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Damn, sorry to hear that Zeke. That sucks. :(

Gonna use the T/A instead of the Formy?

I dunno... I'd rather use the T/A because it's not in as good of shape as the Formula, but it also has a leaky t-top and it's raining a lot. I really don't want to drive one of the Firebirds in this kind of shit, this is gonna suck. But yeah, I'm really glad it's the truck.... kinda weird, but I wish it was bad enough that they total it, but I doubt that is gonna happen.

I'm going to get checked out here shortly, I'm heading up to the emergency room as soon as I have a ride.

I will take some pictures of the truck afterwards and post them.

CharlieCobra03
02-24-2006, 11:51 AM
That sucks man. I didn't wreck today, just got bodyslammed by some ice on my sidewalk. Classic both hands full, feet up over yer head flat on yer back to the concrete. No head bounce but I'm gettin' a bit stiff.

DrEvyl
02-24-2006, 11:54 AM
BTW... airbags smell really bad.

Ryan K
02-24-2006, 12:15 PM

And they hit really hard, I'll dig up my video of a F-body passenger side air bag I set off in my driveway last year..

Ryan K.

99blancoSS
02-24-2006, 12:20 PM
That sucks man. I didn't wreck today, just got bodyslammed by some ice on my sidewalk. Classic both hands full, feet up over yer head flat on yer back to the concrete. No head bounce but I'm gettin' a bit stiff. ouch, that hurts. anyone see it? thats hurst even worse :jest:

DrEvyl
02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
And they hit really hard, I'll dig up my video of a F-body passenger side air bag I set off in my driveway last year..

Ryan K.

I actually thought it would hit harder than it did, to be honest. I still feel like I got punched in the face, though.

I'm just glad my satellite radio survived getting thrown out of the dock by the airbag.

Tylerb59
02-24-2006, 01:05 PM
Damn! :(

DrEvyl
02-24-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm gonna go snap some pictures of the truck this afternoon, I'll post them up when I get a chance.

Z ANGEL
02-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow, how scary! I'm definitely glad your ok and I'm really sorry to hear about your truck. I hope you check out ok at the Dr's and can heal pretty quick...

I hope your ok too Charlie, that sounds painful and makes me hurt just thinking about it! OUCH!

Tranzor
02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Damn Zeke! That's terrible news... :( Good thing is you're not hurt (well except for probably some aches and a stiff neck), and at least it wasn't one of the purple cars.

Hopefully they'll total it so you can get a different car or, just get out it period.

Rottluver
02-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Sorry to hear it Zeke, but the only important thing is that you are alive & healthy.........you WILL be sore for a few days but it beats the alternative.

Feel better & make sure you follow your Dr's instructions. :nod:

CharlieCobra03
02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
It's strange, the things that hurt didn't even hit the ground. Must be shock damage. Nothing a handfull of ibuprophen won't cure.

Amorget
02-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Zeke, that sucks... I am sorry to hear it! Another +1 for thankfully it wasn't one of the Birds.

Poik
02-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Sorry to hear that Zeke :(

HitmanLSX
02-24-2006, 08:30 PM

Yes they do... the newer gen airbags are nicer too because they have different levels of force deployment... I still hate em...

Sorry about your truck glad you're still around at least :(

Ryan K
02-24-2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.highspeedproducts.com/video/airbag.wmv

Bang! You have to realize that the air bag assy weighs 11-12 pounds and it lifted off the ground 15-20"...

Ryan

DrEvyl
02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_i.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_a.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_b.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_c.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_d.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_e.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_f.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_g.jpg

After looking at it again, I'm betting it's going to be a total. The frame looks like it's tweaked.

I went to the hospital also, and they did about 10 x-rays of my chest and neck, nothing broken no problems... they said the soreness is just pulled muscles and tendons, and that I'll be a lot more sore tomorrow.

I have vicodin for tomorrow. :)

Rokko
02-24-2006, 10:47 PM
does you're insurance coverage have rental car included? might get ya by until they figure out your truck.

Poik
02-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Fuuuuuck. Glad to hear you are ok, sucks about your truck. I guess now you could get back into a wrx if you wanted..

DrEvyl
02-24-2006, 10:59 PM
does you're insurance coverage have rental car included? might get ya by until they figure out your truck.

Nope, I didn't get it when I signed up... I figured that I have three cars.

Scary thing is that I'm either going to have to drive the Formula or swap tail lights with the Trans Am.

Rottluver
02-24-2006, 11:06 PM
When do you hear if it is totalled or not? What would you get to replace it if it is?

Again, glad you are ok. :)

krazzycowgirl
02-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Well if its totalled I would start pulling the good stuff out of it & selling them on ebay make some money. Those seats are nice & can go for pretty good.

Robert56
02-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Glad your not hurt, or anyone else. Also, glad it wasn't one of the purple twins.
Robert

DrEvyl
02-24-2006, 11:59 PM
When do you hear if it is totalled or not?

Early next week, the truck is in the impound lot over the weekend, can't get it until Monday.

What would you get to replace it if it is?

Probably nothing right away... If I do buy something it will probably be something cheap and disposable.

Ryan K
02-25-2006, 12:55 AM
I know where a set of tail lights may be...

Z ANGEL
02-25-2006, 01:31 AM
That's nothing a little Zaino can't fix! ;) :jest:

Just kidding, I'm really sorry to see that Zeke, it does look really bad. I'm glad your ok and yes you'll be feeling it tomorrow.

I had to laugh when I saw the airbag was pink :D I wonder if they are all that way and I just never noticed before?

howierd42
02-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Dang Zeke. I just saw this. I too am glad it was not one of the Pontiacs, not just because of the damage but because you probably faired better in the truck than you would have in one of the 'birds. Just looking at the pictures I would be surprised it they did not total that.

My1st Truck
02-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Sorry to hear it Zeke! I wish you a speedy recovery! That thing looks hurt!
You are lucky you are just sore man!
Which one are going to drive everyday?

DrEvyl
02-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Which one are going to drive everyday?

I still haven't decided... The T/A is probably the better choice, but I have to fix the leaky t-top and tail light... The Formula I wouldn't have to fix anything, but it's also is REALLY good shape now, so I would feel bad getting rock chips and stuff on that paint job... where the T/A's paint is kinda iffy. I wouldn't feel so bad about it.

It's probably going to be the T/A that gets daily driven. I just have to fix the issues with it. I am going to have to figure out what is going to happen to the truck before I can do anything else.

DrEvyl
02-25-2006, 03:15 PM
More pics...

This is the one thing that really raised my eyebrow... this is the trim piece inside the cab on the passenger side...
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_j.jpg

This gives you an idea of how off the cab is on either side... passenger side, my GF could fit 3 fingers...
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_k.jpg

Three fingers on the driver's side..
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_l.jpg

How pushed back the radiator support is...
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_m.jpg

Check out the piece of the frame that sticks forward on the passenger side..
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_n.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_o.jpg
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_p.jpg

Looking underneath...
http://pics.evyl.org/Truck/02-24-06_accident_q.jpg

Lunchbox01
02-25-2006, 10:22 PM
dang zeke Im sorry, but I am glad you are okay. I bet they total it, both airbags deployed and I was pretty sure if that happened it was an automatic total. P.S. Im right there with you on the leaky t-tops, my passenger one leaks occasionally but not bad.

Lunchbox01
02-25-2006, 10:23 PM
dang zeke Im sorry, but I am glad you are okay. I bet they total it, both airbags deployed and I was pretty sure if that happened it was an automatic total.

P.S. Im right there with you on the leaky t-tops, my passenger one leaks occasionally but not bad.

Rottluver
02-25-2006, 10:46 PM
dang zeke Im sorry, but I am glad you are okay. I bet they total it, both airbags deployed and I was pretty sure if that happened it was an automatic total. P.S. Im right there with you on the leaky t-tops, my passenger one leaks occasionally but not bad.
Front airbags usually deploy at (a minimum of) 5, 10 or 15 MPH (I don't recall which right now) and not a lot of (newer like Zeke's) vehicles are totaled out from 15 MPH or under crashes.......this has nothing to do with Zeke's situation, just in response to your theory. ;)

CHarris
02-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I'd say it'll be totalled based on value of vehicle vs cost to fix. Shit, my CTS-V has over 6k in repairs from a tree falling on it and it isn't finished yet. Bet its $7500 by the time mine is done and it looked a LOT better than your truck!

Ackattack1
02-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Sorry to hear about that, but its a good thing you're ok

About the leaky t-top....mine was leaking the other day, and I just took it out, and put it back in....no leak anymore....might be worth a shot before you try more indepth actions.

DrEvyl
02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear about that, but its a good thing you're ok

About the leaky t-top....mine was leaking the other day, and I just took it out, and put it back in....no leak anymore....might be worth a shot before you try more indepth actions.

Nope, I've already tried the basic stuff and it didn't work. I'm probably going to have to replace the seal. I'm swapping tail lights with my Formula also, so I don't have a leaking one on the T/A.

I have a feeling the T/A will be my daily for 6 months to a year at this point.

DrEvyl
02-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Update... I talked to several body shops today, and showed them the pictures I posted in the thread, and they all said the truck is probably a total.... which is good and bad... Good because it would never be the same after a repair, bad because I'm still upside down on it. Not sure what they'd give me for it for a cash value.

I went out looking at trucks today to see what it would cost to replace it, and found that I can get an extended cab 5.3L Silverado 1500 LT 4x4 for less than the price of rebuilding my Colorado - $25K for the Silverado, $27K for the Colorado. No brainer if you ask me. 7700 lbs towing vs. 4000 lbs towing. Duh, lemme think on that.

Took one for a drive, it's a lot nicer truck, much smoother riding and a lot more comfortable. Just the seats alone were light years better than the Colorado was.

So I have to wait and see how this business with the Colorado turns out, I may end up replacing it with a new Silverado. Lots of things left to figure out, though.

howierd42
02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
I would almost expect that dammage from a rice burner truck, but it surprises me a little to see that from an amerikan truck. My vote is still totalled though.

DrEvyl
02-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I would almost expect that dammage from a rice burner truck, but it surprises me a little to see that from an amerikan truck. My vote is still totalled though.

Well, it is an Isuzu truck with a Chevy badge on it... but I also hit an immovable concrete object almost head on at about 35 mph. That would pretty much fuck up any car.

TwoFast4Lv
02-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Yes I found when I was looking at "Extreme" S-10s they were more money then a decked out 1/2 ton full size and near a 3/4.....

DrEvyl
02-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Yes I found when I was looking at "Extreme" S-10s they were more money then a decked out 1/2 ton full size and near a 3/4.....

Well, it's the incentives... Good Chevrolet has full-sizes on special, the prices were like $10K+ off MSRP. The truck I looked at was over $35K on the sticker, but they were selling it for ~$25K. Hell of a deal if you ask me.

It was even the same color as my Colorado, I really like that color.

WAHUSKER
02-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Yeah, you can buy a brand new pickup pretty cheap right now. Too bad I wanted a shorty with 4 doors.... :(

TwoFast4Lv
02-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah, you can buy a brand new pickup pretty cheap right now. Too bad I wanted a shorty with 4 doors.... :(

Me too but the "Duramax" option kills me every time ;)

DrEvyl
02-28-2006, 10:19 AM

Well, the Silverado I drove is a lot more truck than I actually need... I don't really need an extended cab, but it's nice to have the extra storage space inside, that's a huge plus. I think more than anything the Silverado won me over in how much more comfortable and smooth riding it is. Felt like a freakin Cadillac on the road it was so damn quiet and smooth. It was a nice change from my Colorado. It would be nice if I could snag the one I drove, it's the same color as my Colorado, and was a really sharp looking truck... and it would be nice to have a truck that could do duty as a tow vehicle.

I'm going to talk to GMAC and see if they will let me buy the Silverado and just roll the balance of my old loan into a new one... it's a long shot, but it's worth asking. Otherwise, I'm gonna be daily driving my WS6 for a while.

Toxic Texan
03-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Damn sorry about the wreck. Hope you can get the new truck.

GEARHED
03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, the Silverado I drove is a lot more truck than I actually need... I don't really need an extended cab, but it's nice to have the extra storage space inside, that's a huge plus. I think more than anything the Silverado won me over in how much more comfortable and smooth riding it is. Felt like a freakin Cadillac on the road it was so damn quiet and smooth. It was a nice change from my Colorado. It would be nice if I could snag the one I drove, it's the same color as my Colorado, and was a really sharp looking truck... and it would be nice to have a truck that could do duty as a tow vehicle.
If you are thinking a few years down the road, you would have the truck to tow and set up instead of a last minute scramble (not literally last minute but you know). The extra cab space is a huge plus - I would never downsize my truck to a bench cab like my first one since the room is very handy. Its amazing what you can cram into those Xcabs and still hear the speakers. Always a plus.

I'm going to talk to GMAC and see if they will let me buy the Silverado and just roll the balance of my old loan into a new one... it's a long shot, but it's worth asking. Otherwise, I'm gonna be daily driving my WS6 for a while.
Just depends on your current credit though they may roll it at a higher rate than what you have now. There always seems to be a catch with GMAC which is why I got away from them years ago.
*spits*
Yeah. They left a bad taste in my mouth a long time ago.

Hope you are feeling okay cuz that was one hard hit. It sucks but you walked away, far better than having to post you will be in a cast for awhile :nod:

DrEvyl
03-01-2006, 11:32 AM
If you are thinking a few years down the road, you would have the truck to tow and set up instead of a last minute scramble (not literally last minute but you know). The extra cab space is a huge plus - I would never downsize my truck to a bench cab like my first one since the room is very handy. Its amazing what you can cram into those Xcabs and still hear the speakers. Always a plus.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking... I had planned down the road to buy a tow vehicle at some point, and I decided that if I got a truck after my Colorado I wanted at least an extended cab. Hell, it's nice to have that area just for simple stuff like groceries or something, and being able to carry more than two people if necessary is a plus. This way I would already have the truck, it's already got the towing package on it, and all I would need is a trailer and I'd be ready to go.

The other thing was that I was pretty tired of commuting in my Colorado because it's kind of bouncy and it's hard for me to find a comfortable seating position in it.... I sat down the in Silverado and the driver's seat was awesome, and the ride was incredible for a pickup. It would make my commute much more relaxing that's for sure.

The only negative I see is that parking that beast is going to be a bitch.

Just depends on your current credit though they may roll it at a higher rate than what you have now. There always seems to be a catch with GMAC which is why I got away from them years ago.
*spits*
Yeah. They left a bad taste in my mouth a long time ago.

Yeah, I really would rather not do it this way but it's my best option currently. My other choice is to drive my WS6 every day for the next 8-9 months while I pay off the balance of the Colorado, and then save up some money for a downpayment on something different... but at that point I wouldn't be able to get the same deal on a truck.

Hope you are feeling okay cuz that was one hard hit. It sucks but you walked away, far better than having to post you will be in a cast for awhile :nod:

I'll put it this way... my sinus infection bothered me more than the injuries from the crash. I just had a stiff neck for a couple days, and that was about it.

GEARHED
03-02-2006, 04:15 AM
That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking... I had planned down the road to buy a tow vehicle at some point, and I decided that if I got a truck after my Colorado I wanted at least an extended cab. Hell, it's nice to have that area just for simple stuff like groceries or something, and being able to carry more than two people if necessary is a plus. This way I would already have the truck, it's already got the towing package on it, and all I would need is a trailer and I'd be ready to go.
With the tow pkg on you are half way there - it might pinch at first on the pennies but in two years you will have used that much and more with the extra cab space. I use mine way more than I thought I would and can still keep it clean (a little neurotic that way..).

The other thing was that I was pretty tired of commuting in my Colorado because it's kind of bouncy and it's hard for me to find a comfortable seating position in it.... I sat down the in Silverado and the driver's seat was awesome, and the ride was incredible for a pickup. It would make my commute much more relaxing that's for sure.

The only negative I see is that parking that beast is going to be a bitch.
One week and you'll have the parking part down. If you are going to commute its worth the extra comfort. Also consider how much better it would drive with a tow on it - sometimes that is *the* deciding point since it would ride a lot better with a full load instead of your headlights pointing up so far it looks like you are trying to land planes.

Yeah, I really would rather not do it this way but it's my best option currently. My other choice is to drive my WS6 every day for the next 8-9 months while I pay off the balance of the Colorado, and then save up some money for a downpayment on something different... but at that point I wouldn't be able to get the same deal on a truck.
Rates are only going up and you would pay more to keep the WS6 up from commuting than the difference in the interest. Besides, after 6 months with GMAC just about any bank will re-fi it for much lower interest which is how I got away from them 13 years ago. Its always a tough call but maybe this is that window to get what you need and want while the deal is available. Not to mention *something* always comes up when saving for a down payment that wipes it out. I swear, its a never ending cycle no matter how well you money managment skills are.

I'll put it this way... my sinus infection bothered me more than the injuries from the crash. I just had a stiff neck for a couple days, and that was about it.
Bet that airbag dust didn't help - its that time of year for the annual sinus infection and my neck hurts without a hit like that :eek2:
Just glad you were able to walk away on your own two feet instead of the four wheel whambulance carrier :nod:

DrEvyl
03-02-2006, 11:11 AM
I just got a message from the body shop and State Farm just a few minutes ago. The body shop says that their preliminary estimate is $12,000 to repair it, but that does not include the suspension / frame damage... so they are pushing for it to be totalled. State Farm has an inspector from their total loss division going out to review the estimate, and they're supposed to contact me within the next 24-48 hours to tell me the results.

TwoFast4Lv
03-02-2006, 02:11 PM
State farm is good about totaling rig's ;)

DrEvyl
03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, I have decided what I'm going to do...

I'm not going to replace the Colorado with anything right now. I'm just gonna pay it off and enjoy having no debts. I thought about it over the last few days, and I really don't think it's a smart idea to get massively in debt again with another huge car payment. Instead I'm going to enjoy having my cars paid off, my credit cards paid off, and having ZERO bills.

Which means more mods. :)

I gotta get out of this fucking 13 second tent.

GEARHED
03-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, I have decided what I'm going to do...

I'm not going to replace the Colorado with anything right now. I'm just gonna pay it off and enjoy having no debts. I thought about it over the last few days, and I really don't think it's a smart idea to get massively in debt again with another huge car payment. Instead I'm going to enjoy having my cars paid off, my credit cards paid off, and having ZERO bills.

Which means more mods. :)

I gotta get out of this fucking 13 second tent.

A breather is nice...which means your off the purple GTO, right? ;)

Rottluver
03-04-2006, 04:05 PM
A breather is nice...which means your off the purple GTO, right? ;)
The purple GTO posts were after that post you quoted IIRC. ;)

GEARHED
03-04-2006, 04:12 PM
The purple GTO posts were after that post you quoted IIRC. ;)
Its not my job to keep track of post times..or days...or
anything else for that matter.

I'm just easily amused.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/RabbleRouser/perfectlynormal.jpg

DrEvyl
03-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I discovered the purple GTO after I posted that... and I'm still on the fence whether I wanna go through with it.