Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-pipe to floor clearance (PICS)

Old 02-24-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-pipe to floor clearance (PICS)

I just installed my Y-pipe, however it is REALLY close to the floor (talking 0.050" or less). The Y-pipe slips over the header so i dont have much(if any) play in the pipe even before its clamped.

The pic below is the drivers side. To the right is the header and right above it is the fuel lines etc..

I've tried everything and cant get any more clearance. To get it on, i had to pry the header down. Could the collector be angled up too much???

This one shows how close i can get the hanger... and yes, the entire Ypipe is on the car and NOT clamped. Yet there is not enough play in the pipes to decrease the gap.

Last edited by H8 LUZN; 02-25-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

The collector could be angled but the clearance your describing is typical. Time for a driver side poly motor mount.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

What kind of headers and y-pipe?
Old 02-25-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shawn's SS
What kind of headers and y-pipe?

Im dealing with the vendor right now and hope it gets resolved. I dont want any negative PR on them for now.

This weekend was trial #2 for fitment.. to no avail.

Being an automotive engineer, i will say These headers and Tubes are NOT EVEN close to being acceptable. If i were to pass off a product like this in my line of work it would mean almost instant 'FIRED'...

This is my second Y-pipe, the first's fitment was even worse.

However, i will commend Magnaflow on their EXCELLENT fitment. The magnaflow kit bolted in perfectly and everything lines up. The entire Stainless steel mandrel bent and polished magnaflow system did not even cost as much as 2 Y-pipes. To which i will add, the Y-pipe is aluminized... (i.e. easier to bend, cheaper material, horrible corrosion resistannce, and impossible to polish).

I will keep everyone updated as to the progress.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shawn's SS
The collector could be angled but the clearance your describing is typical. Time for a driver side poly motor mount.
0.050" is acceptable for exhaust clearance. just the vibration from the engine at idle will make it touch the floor.

I have unbolted the header to try and angle it down as much as possible... which does not do much since the bolts line up the header in only one position with out any vertical play.

Lightly touching it with my finger allows the floor and ypipe to touch.. (i.e. just removing some weight off the pipe.)

Im thinking the Y-pipe may be designed for 1-3/4" headers while i have 1-7/8". However this would be minor, just seeing the toleraces so far...
Old 02-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Banned

Could you pm me the y pipe manufacturer. I'm going to be buying one in the future and don't want one of those. Look at it, it's more like a tee-pipe. Thats a total **** piece if you ask me. Sorry for my opinion.

Search this Thread