General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Car turns over but wont start

Yep, just got the car painted after the car crash and it won't start. I drove the car to the police station after the wreck (after the high-speed chase), then from the police station home, the next day from home to the body shop (about 15 miles) and it ran fine... 2 months later... I go to pick it up, now the car won't start... It'll crank over fine, but no spark. My mocal comes on fine, as does my racetronix, but I have to disconnect the Mocal in order to hear it. I checked the fuel rails, and yes, they're getting fuel pressurized, but no fire at all. I have yet to pull a plug and try the ol' spark plug against a header trick, but I'm sure it's not firing and/or the injectors aren't working. Another thing I noticed is my DS running light and fog light do not work (the side I got hit on). I tried switching IGN relays with the fan #1, and still nothing. The body shop claimed they started it every now and then, but I think they're full of it. Anyone have any ideas other than what I have covered?

BTW - I went to plug my power inverter in the 12v plug in the car to power my laptop for EFIlive, and got a fault light, kinda strange...
Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be the wrong forum for this question but.....

make sure you are getting power to the injector and coil pack fuses. The ignition relay supiles power to them from the ignitions switch. Check this first. you will have no fuel injector pulse or spark.
i have seen bad relays and bad ignitions switches cause this problem
Old 02-25-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though you're in the right forum, you may want to post this in the Internal Engine section, as you'll probably get a lot more input.

I had a similar problem, but it was the ignition relay. You might want to try a crank relearn (CASE), which can be done at the dealer or with most tuning software. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to replace the cam and/or crank sensor.

If I remember correctly, the security system (VATS) can also prevent the car from starting, but I could be wrong.

Josh
Old 02-25-2006, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was it hit on the passenger side??? if so maybe the body shop pulled the right interior kick pannel off and maybe one of the conectors came disconected back there, just had a similar problem with a car i fixxed and the connector came unpluged
Old 02-26-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well first thing is first check for Spark and fuel injetor pulse. you can get a spark tester for under 5 dollars at most auto parts stores and you can use a test light to check for injector pulse just use a pin or something to probe the terminals.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The body shop idled the car too long (WAY too rich) and fouled every plug (time to put in TR6's I already got anyway)... spark plug tester checked out okay, so did the injector pulse indicator. So much fuel in the motor that a client came in and yelled "hey, ya got something drippin from the tail pipe"... Yep, raw fuel, all the way down the headers, exhaust, up over the rear end, through the turbo and out the downpipe... I wondered why the body shop said they had put a gallon of gas in the tank when I already had 1/3. They fouled it, thought it had run out of fuel, and put more in... makes perfect sense why it never started after that, the plugs are pitch black and dripping with fuel. Time to change my oil now... I'll get the car back Monday, gotta let the exhaust dry out, don't wanna flamethrow. Thanks for your help guys.

Quick Reply: Car turns over but wont start