Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of TCI 4000 and install wrap-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 12:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Review of TCI 4000 and install wrap-up

I just yesterday started installing my new TCI 4000 stall. After many trials and tribulations, I got it in and running. I must say that even though it was a pain in the *** to drop the tranny, and re-install the tranny, the actual swapping of the converters was cake.

This thing pulls like a raped ape. 1st gear and most of 2nd is useless without tires. I nailed it in 1st for a lark, and it spun, shifted to 2nd, then kept spinning just the same as it did in 1st. I did a highway run, and the car just pulls. The Exhaust note never really changes, but man it pulls. The driveability isn't as bad as everyone would have me believe. Sure you have to get the revs up to get moving, but it's not THAT bad. It may just be that I already have a killer shift kit and 3.73 gears. Temps have not gotten over 160* so far, and that's in some damn stop-and-go driving. Lockup is just like before, but shifts are softer. Still quick, just a lot softer than before.

For what it's worth, I was going to get a Fuddle before I settled on the TCI. Thing is, through work I could get this 4000 for the same price as a Fuddle shipped. I couldn't turn that kind of deal down.

That said, I'm sure that Fuddle makes an awesome converter, John was a great help and answered all the questions that I had promptly and thoroughly. I would HIGHLY recommend John at Fuddle for ALL your converter questions. The man knows EXACTLY what he's talking about.

I would also recommend the TCI 4000 SSF. It's a well-made piece.

That's all,
Allen
Old 02-25-2006, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

Grats on the verter! I love my TCI 3500 and was also very pleasantly surprised at how streetable it was even with stock 3.23's! The only time I really felt it was noticeably loose is when I'm in reverse (I have to go half throttle it seems to get out of my driveway, Lol). But normal city driving holds my rpm's between 1000-1500 (no biggie) and on the highway it locks up nicely. Then when I go WOT

I was worried that 3500 was too big for stock internals. Now I kind of wish I had a 3800 or 4000. No matter what you have it seems you always want more

Grats again on the verter and good luck.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
This thing pulls like a raped ape. 1st gear and most of 2nd is useless without tires. I nailed it in 1st for a lark, and it spun, shifted to 2nd, then kept spinning just the same as it did in 1st. I did a highway run, and the car just pulls. Allen
Did you properly break in the clutchs for the converter by doing a 100-150 mile break in period of 1/3 to 1/2 throttle....please tell me you did...unless this is just for yank and i am missing something...
Old 02-25-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write-up Allen. Will we see you at the track next Friday?

John
Old 02-25-2006, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JNorris
Good write-up Allen. Will we see you at the track next Friday?

John
Not this Friday, the Friday after next you'll see me out there. Got some spare traction I can borrow?