LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback Tell us about your sponsor transactions

Complaint against Mike Norris

Old 02-25-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Complaint against Mike Norris

Not sure where to post this guys but I want to make everyone aware of the situation. My brother in law has spent 20k with Mike Norris, mods include 12 bolt rear, torque converter (vig 3200), setup nitrous with maximizer (system was already there), forged motor (346) with afr 205 heads and cam. I do no have all the specifics cam is a 231/237 or similiar, heads milled for compression etc.

anyways car has been back to mikes three times because it has yet to run over a 12.4 @110 in fact the last trip to mikes that supposedly fixed the car it ran a 12.4@108 so now 20k later it runs ONE MPH faster than it did before the 20k was spent... problem is mike doesnt seem to care... he is aware it is a three hour trip to his shop but now that he has the cash he is blowing him off and when he does work on the car he makes a couple tune changes and then says its fixed without even putting it on the dyno... says there is no need.after the car was built tranny was slipping so it was rebuilt and new converter put in (not at mikes) went to mikes everything is good supposedly dynoes about 390 goes to track and runs 12.4@110. back to mikes he says converter is bad, so another 1200 bucks or so and new converter car dynoes 400 go to track and a 12.4@110 notices the shift points are way low... back to mikes supposedly shift points are fixed car runs a 12.4@ 108 60ft was slightly better hence same time...(1.71 vs 1.75 this is with etstreets every time) third time back to his shop was to fix shift points car was shifting at 5200 1-2 and 6100 2-3. now it is shifting about 6k still not right...

Mike has had ample time to fix the car and if he had a let me help attitude i wouldnt be posting this. but he has a "i dont want to be bothered" attitude, if someone had 20k of my money and I got a car that is not performing any better than when i brought it in i would be demanding restitution. my brother in law is being calm about it and giving mike more time to fix it...

anyways i wanted anyone that may want to take their car to mikes to be aware if there is a problem it doesnt seemd like he cares. I dont think i am being unreasonable that mike needs to stand up and fix the problem...

there are more things that have been a problem with mikes service but i will not go into them now, just want the car to perform as promised and no bashing

What would you expect if you spent that much on mods and the car doesnt perform remotely close to expectations???

Last edited by mobius; 02-25-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

$20K for a forged 346, converter, 12-bolt, and nitrous? That sounds really high.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah thats what i thought as well... it started as 15k still high, but supposedly mike does good work and everything would be perfect....
Old 02-25-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

try taking it to another shop and tell them to inspect the work he's done to the car, then call a lawyer.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

if everything was install right and the car runs good...u cant blame mike for it being no faster...i mean maybe its just a bad setup....did he pick the setup for your bother in law or did you brother in law pick it himself?

not being an *** just curious at what your bitching over...if i take my car to a shop to get lets just say the T-rex put in...well we all that it has been proven u can run a 10.2 with a cam only car with a T-rex...well if i run a 11 flat should i put on here that my shop sucks cause i didn't run a 10.2?...i mean come on dude just sounds like a stupid argument to me, im sure your pissed an all but whats the real prob here cause im not gettin it from the post other than a shift point issue
Old 02-25-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

you cant be serious. you pay for a service with an expectation and receive nothing in return and it is ok? mike told him 11's not sure if he gave him a mph number...

you go to a shop for a service and guidance... mike told him what cam to go with heads etc. and for that he got exactly what he started with except 20k later.... you must be joking, cant blame mike...

a pump and an entire engine are two different things...
Old 02-25-2006, 04:06 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mobius
Not sure where to post this
Looks like Norris is a sponsor, so it goes in the Sponsor Feedback section
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=2559
Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not trying to be difficult but the guy should get what he paid for... If anyone paid a company top dollar for a product they would expect top quality performace... he could have paid jim bob on the corner 1/2 that amount and probably come out better... a 1 mph gain from heads and cam... that in anybodys book is a poor return on your money and way below what any reasonable person would expect to receive given the amount of work done... he could have spent 50 bucks on some sheet metal made a poormans ram air got the same performance and been 20k richer...

Again I just hope mike steps up and fixes this problem...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Well if the car belongs to your brother in law, let him tell his side of the story.

Third party info is just like the game telephone, everytime the story is told it changes.

Now as far as the car goes, what did it dyno before the heads and cam package?

What suspension/tire setup does the car have?

Remember, when you make substantial changes to a cars performance you have to learn how to drive the car all over again.

Alot of factors play a role in a cars performance, weather conditions, tire/suspension combo, track conditions, and most of all driver ability.

Not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to help.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

you are right i may have missed something or incorrectly told part of the story so i will get him on here to explain. He just wants mike to fix it and is waiting for him to do so. well he is talking to mike yet again today to see what to do...

so after that ill get him to come on and tell his story.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Hey All,

I have been in contact with this customer and yes the car has only run a best of what was mentioned here on motor. The car consistantly dyno's 390-400 RWHP and 370-ish RWT in an A4 locked. Not overly impressive, but set up for nitrous. The car is basically an 11-1, AFR 205, 224/228 114 XER, Hooker LT's, Strange 12 bolt w/ 3.73's, VIG 3000 3 disk, customer supplied local built trans and 19's. This thing should easily be in the 11's at 114-116 with the track tires he uses and we are trying to gather some scan data from a run to see whats up. It seems the biggest issue for now is the 1-2 shift being early and he is returnoing with the slicks on the car to see what we can get. The car spins on the dyno and street easily with the 19's and street tires. So i set the 1-2 shift early to be safe, especially on the nitrous.

Originally this car had a very loose (read inefficient) converter that has about 1200 RPM slip unlocked and the same locked. It had an off brand converter the customer was told was good at the time of the trans build. We then swapped out to a Vig 3000 3 disk and no more issues there and I am wondering if the trans has something going on. Hard to say as the biggest hurdle is the 3-4 hour drive away and trying to get the right data from different test runs. On the last visit we looked at some logs, made a timing change, upped the 1-2 shift 5 or 6 MPH and locked the converter at approx 95 MPH. We will get it figured out.

As far as me not caring, I guess that is your opinion as my customer has not said anything along those lines. We have talked several times and he has set up to come back again this Thursday through conversations with my crew. Frustrating for sure and when all seems well here it is hard to say it is the same at the track. I have gone to the track with several customers locally and perhaps I can get in a run if we can do something up here. I am open for suggestions. If the car performs well on the dyno and then has an issue at the track, I can only do so much with the info given. I would like to see if the converter was commanded to lock, if so what RPM slip was then seen as well as KR and oxygen sensor readings. Again, it is a work in progress. Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 02-28-2006, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

I forgot to mention a big thanks for the kind words from most here not knowing the situation.

I did talk to the customer just as I posted prviously and he had no knowledge of this thread. Though he is frustrated with the situation he apologized for what was put up. I told him it is not a big deal as I am not a big believer in third party info and his word is what matters most.

He has a tentaive plan and we are working towards a conclusion as I offered him that I go to the track up here or even meet him at Bradenton when we can get together. This will give me a better idea on what is going on versus using his data. I believe he is going to have Jeremy take a look at things to see whats up since he is closer and we can move forward from there.

Thanks again.

Mike Norris
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Seeing as how this thread was not originated by the actual customer, and it doesn't abide by the site guidelines for feedback threads, AND it has been addressed by the sponsor despite all of this, I'm locking this thread.

If the actual customer would like to start a new thread in the future, I fully encourage him to. However, no more third party threads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complaint against Mike Norris