General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Theft deterrant module

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft deterrant module

does anyone else out there have problems with the security light coming on and then the car wont crank until the light shuts off which takes about five minutes each time.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

ya, I had it happen often on my 96 that I used to have, I dont have any idea what caused it though, I would think that maybe the chip in the key was going bad or it was not getting read right. I just dealt with it until I got rid of it, ,,
Old 02-26-2006, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

it happend to me for the first time last night... i hope it never happens again. i was like WTF is going on..
Old 02-26-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

It happene to me twice. The car would not crank or nothing and after I waited a couple of minutes it started but it finally went out at the worst possible time, when i was trying to trade it in, it must have a sing becuase i still have the car. I had to puch start it and drowe the security flashing all the way home. I bypassed the systems with a resistor.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem is on my friends 94 Z28, we are pretty sure it's the theft module. Because he got a new chip for the key, and still the same problems. The security light will go on when you try to turn the key every now and again, and then it will stay on for 4-5 minutes, shut off... then if you start it very particular, it will sometimes turn over, then be fine for ahwhile.

I think we are just gonna buy the module, although it's kinda spendy. Because it's not the chip in the key, just the GM Part itself going bad.

Any other information would be appreciated.