Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to look for when buying an ls1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to look for when buying an ls1

im goin to look at a ws6 this week and i was jus curoius what the best things to look for are in the car to see if its been abused and will be in good shape and be a good car
Old 02-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

rubber dust in the rear wheel wells,broken trans mount,chopped up tires,broken wheel lugs,holes drilled for NOS,large pieces of guard rail sticking out of the body,console full of traffic tickets,wrinkled quarter panels from body twist,if emission testing is done in your area look to see if the egr or other equipment like cats were removed,look for signs of water leaking in from the ttops.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by YoMommasTA
rubber dust in the rear wheel wells,broken trans mount,chopped up tires,broken wheel lugs,holes drilled for NOS,large pieces of guard rail sticking out of the body,console full of traffic tickets,wrinkled quarter panels from body twist,if emission testing is done in your area look to see if the egr or other equipment like cats were removed,look for signs of water leaking in from the ttops.
You Funny Man! Although there were some nuggets of truth in his statement. Since we don't have any further details on your prospective purchase, I'll stick with the basics:

Look for and ask the owner if there have been any modifications from stock; if so, ask if the owner kept the OEM parts and is willing to include those in the purchase.
Leaks. Look around the heads, oil pan, camshaft cover, diff cover, and if auto, trans pan.
Make sure all lights and indicators work. All dials and interior lights. Turn indicator lever, tilt wheel lever, wiper lever all work. Rear hatch opens, STAYS OPEN, and closes tightly.
Interior: Seats aren't torn, power driver's side (if equipped) moves on all it's axes, all switches work. That's all I can think of off the top of my head; List up the details of the car you are looking at, we can help further.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tons of these posts are on here. I made one a couple months ago. Just do a quick search.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Teching In

thanks for the help so far, its a 99 trans am ws6 automatic
Old 02-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaro_SS
You Funny Man! Although there were some nuggets of truth in his statement. Since we don't have any further details on your prospective purchase, I'll stick with the basics:

Look for and ask the owner if there have been any modifications from stock; if so, ask if the owner kept the OEM parts and is willing to include those in the purchase.
Leaks. Look around the heads, oil pan, camshaft cover, diff cover, and if auto, trans pan.
Make sure all lights and indicators work. All dials and interior lights. Turn indicator lever, tilt wheel lever, wiper lever all work. Rear hatch opens, STAYS OPEN, and closes tightly.
Interior: Seats aren't torn, power driver's side (if equipped) moves on all it's axes, all switches work. That's all I can think of off the top of my head; List up the details of the car you are looking at, we can help further.
i'm dead serious!i'm not joking in any way
Old 02-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the help guys, if all goes well ill be in an ls1 one again, and will be looking for some suggestions on beating a slighly moded 03 cobra
Old 02-28-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smell the ATF on the tranny dipstick to see if the fluid smells burnt. Drive it and do some moderate braking to see if there are warped rotors (a fluttering when braking). Ask to see maintenance records. If the car is stock and doesn't have obvious signs of abuse it probably didn't get flogged too hard.

If you really want to beat a slightly modded 03 cobra you will have a tough time without expensive mods (s/c or turbo or stroker) unless you run a pretty big nitrous shot and in that case your rear end and tranny may not stay together for it.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Well first off how old is the guy you are buying the car from? Is he 21 or 51? Also how many miles are on it, that can make a difference too. Listen to the engine and trany very closely while driving it. Look to see how clean the engine bay is, if its really dirty it probably means the person lived on a gravel road or didn't keep it garaged. Lastly check under the car for anything that shouldn't be.