Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

DR mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DR mileage

Getting ready to buy a set of drag radials for the warm weather, and trying to decide which ones I should get. Mileage is a concern - I don't want to have to replace them after 4000 miles - but the car isn't driven daily, maybe 100-150 miles a week, with no burnouts. MTs seem to have the best sticking power, but the worst mileage wear, and I'm afraid for my 10 bolt with them and 4.10s. Nittos, the opinions seem to go from worthless to the next best thing to the MTs. BFGs seem to be the same as the Nittos, in terms of opinions.

So, for the actual question - what is the average expected mileage life of the MT ET street radials, the Nitto NT555s, and the BFG drag radials (although I've never actually seen any sort of tire "model" number to accompany it) on a semi-daily driven car that won't see any burnouts?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i was looking for dr's all the posts i read said mt's=4000,bfg's=7000,and nittos=10,000 on average.i went with the nittos due to my car being a daily driver.the nittos hook pretty well in warm weather,but really dislike the cold.in the rain they actually do very well.if your looking for a good compromise of traction and milage the nitto gets my vote.i have 12,500 miles on them but their getting pretty bald in the center.hope this helps
Old 02-26-2006, 01:45 AM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Nitto 555R's, and I'm pretty satisfied with them. I fully agree with outkast6991's assessment. They stick very decently in warm weather, but cold traction is surprisingly poor. In the rain they're not too bad (especially if you have front tires that are good at channeling the water away).

I think that 10,000 miles is about what you can expect out of a Nitto. I'm all the way through the tread in the middle on mine at about 8,000 miles, but I'm having some strange wear issues. The middle of the tires are completely bald while I have good tread on the outside. I have run the tires at 20psi since the day I bought them, and they're 275's on 9" rims (so the side walls are not bowed out). I don't know if this is normal, but were this not the case I could easily get another 3,000-4,000 miles out of them at this point.

Nitto's aren't the best traction at the track, but they are an excellent compromise for the daily driver or the conservative DR buyer.