New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you think of these mods?

I wasn't sure where to put it since I am doing internals as well. So here goes I already have cat-back, lid, FTRA, Smooth bellow, wires, TB bypass, girdle, predator, and this is what I am going to order:

TSP 233/239, .595"/.603" 113 LSA, the associated springs, retainers, pushrods, etc., KOOKS long tubes, 1 3/4 with 3 inch collector, random tech high flow cats, y pipe and my cat back(very free flowing), underdrive pulleys as well. What do you think? It is not a daily driver.

There are other items that I am installing like a new timing chain and such that I am not listing as it isn't going to give me more hp. I am sure a clutch will follow pretty soon.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO that is too much cam for a daily driver. Many will tell you that with tuning it will perform ok for the street and they may well be correct, but that does not address my concerns of wear. IMO that cam will be rough on the lifters and other associated valve train parts.

My plans include full exhaust (Kooks 1&3/4" LT's, Kooks catted Y-pipe, and maybe a Bassani catback), a 224/224 563/563 112 LSA cam, and a set of small intake runner (205-225 cc) heads with a slighty higher-than-stock compression ratio (AFR, Trickflow, ETP). I'd hope that this combo would be very street friendly and maybe exceed 400 rwhp.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

As stated previous this is not my daily driver. If it was I would most definitely not run a cam of that size. I have had various other smaller cams, but wanted the big top end power that a cam of it's size would have. Actually I have used a cam very similiar to the one you have plans on using. I can safely say you can get well over 400RWHP with a cam that size and heads. I had 403RWHP with mine(TR 224) and stock heads. I also had underdrives, LT headers, no cats, cut-outs, lid, FTRA and many other small mods. Good luck modding. What other cams have you run before?
Old 02-26-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a great cam to go with. And, I've known people who daily drive that cam with no complaints.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5LETR
As stated previous this is not my daily driver. If it was I would most definitely not run a cam of that size. I have had various other smaller cams, but wanted the big top end power that a cam of it's size would have. Actually I have used a cam very similiar to the one you have plans on using. I can safely say you can get well over 400RWHP with a cam that size and heads. I had 403RWHP with mine(TR 224) and stock heads. I also had underdrives, LT headers, no cats, cut-outs, lid, FTRA and many other small mods. Good luck modding. What other cams have you run before?
I really should learn to read more closely. I missed the key word "not" in your sentence, "It is not a daily driver."

From what I've read, that cam will give you serious mid-upper range rpm power.

As far as what other cams I have hands on experience with? None, other than stock.