Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my vic jr conversion pics/thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my vic jr conversion pics/thoughts

cut the cowl out at 2AM last night so its a little rough. I hadn't seen anyone run an aircleaner before. it fits under the STOCK Z28 hood with a little cutting.
contrary to what I've heard, the stock throttle cable works fine. I cut the dowell in the end off and about another 2" of the cable and crimped on an electrical eye connector. looks like it will hold just fine and does the job well. the throttle cable mount that comes with the kit works pretty well with minor modificaiton. the mounting bracket just had a square hole in it, i just opened up the top of it and slid the throttle cable in. just modded it to work like the stock cable mount.
everything else was pretty straightforward.

EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU LOCKTITE THE INTAKE BOLTS AND FUEL RAIL BOLTS. all of mine worked loose after about 10 passes. oil spewed all over the place from the intake bolt comming completely out and the rest were all finger tight!

anyone know were to get a replacement radiator shroud? mines got a hole in it :p

Last edited by 383ss; 03-12-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats pretty cool looking. Haven't seen one like it before
Old 02-26-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice, do you have before dyno numbers with an EFI(Fast,LS6) Intake. Wondering how they compare.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Order 66
Very nice, do you have before dyno numbers with an EFI(Fast,LS6) Intake. Wondering how they compare.

this is EFI.

I had a FAST 90/90 before. I'll try and get dyno numbers next saturday, just got it running.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking setup!

Originally Posted by 383ss
anyone know were to get a replacement radiator shroud? mines got a hole in it :p
Checkout BMR, they make a nice polished aluminum setup.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Nice looking setup!

Checkout BMR, they make a nice polished aluminum setup.

cool, thanks
Old 02-26-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go ahead and solder that cable end on...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by xssive
I would go ahead and solder that cable end on...
ya, not a bad idea. at least its fail-safe.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

I almost went the same route with the carb style throttlebody. But, I knew I was going to have to cut the hell out of the cowl to do it and get an air cleaner in there. I like the old school carb look. I ended up using the elbow which I'm very happy with. I still had to hack up the cowl and hood though. BTW, order a radiator panel for an LT1 f-body. That takes care of that nasty hole.

Carlos Villalon, Jr.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ That's pretty badass too
Old 02-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jurisz28
I almost went the same route with the carb style throttlebody. But, I knew I was going to have to cut the hell out of the cowl to do it and get an air cleaner in there. I like the old school carb look. I ended up using the elbow which I'm very happy with. I still had to hack up the cowl and hood though. BTW, order a radiator panel for an LT1 f-body. That takes care of that nasty hole.

Carlos Villalon, Jr.
Can you tell me more about this set-up? And what you had to cut to get it to fit? Maybe pics og your hood. I'm seriously considering this set-up!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My understanding is that there's an elbow that sits low enough so that no cutting is needed on the hood, but the rubber on the cowl ( like above) will most likly still need to be clearanced, I think it's intakelbows.com or something like that... they supposedly have one that poitions the TB low enough so that a stock lid and maf can be used. I am going to try to see if I can confirm that with them, and even if I have to go with the GM single plane so that I can do so, then I will. It would be nice to be able to do so, I think it would look really good, and hopefully accomplish what I am looking to do, add more power in teh upper rpm's where I"m gonna be when it matters at the track. I plan to do this intake setup before I add any spray, in hopes that the even cyl. to cyl. distribution will help the stock bottom end live a little longer.

Personally, I'd even go as far as to have the intake planed down a little if need be so that the hood will clear. The plastic cowl, that can be bought from a junkyeard or even a dealer for a reasonable sum of $$, but to cut the hood, that's where I'm drawing the line.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
My understanding is that there's an elbow that sits low enough so that no cutting is needed on the hood, but the rubber on the cowl ( like above) will most likly still need to be clearanced, I think it's intakelbows.com or something like that... they supposedly have one that poitions the TB low enough so that a stock lid and maf can be used. I am going to try to see if I can confirm that with them, and even if I have to go with the GM single plane so that I can do so, then I will. It would be nice to be able to do so, I think it would look really good, and hopefully accomplish what I am looking to do, add more power in teh upper rpm's where I"m gonna be when it matters at the track. I plan to do this intake setup before I add any spray, in hopes that the even cyl. to cyl. distribution will help the stock bottom end live a little longer.

Personally, I'd even go as far as to have the intake planed down a little if need be so that the hood will clear. The plastic cowl, that can be bought from a junkyeard or even a dealer for a reasonable sum of $$, but to cut the hood, that's where I'm drawing the line.
your wrong about that. Nitrous Dave made and elbow that fits with NO cutting. its really expensive though.

I wouldn't have cut my hood, except its a stock Z hood I got for $50. I plan to go to a cowl VFN hood sometime soon.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

if there was a way to make an ss hood not re-direct the air flow from the inlet to the front of the hood and just have the air flow straight back that would be a BAMF!!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SShark
Can you tell me more about this set-up? And what you had to cut to get it to fit? Maybe pics og your hood. I'm seriously considering this set-up!
I'll get you guys pics of the hood. As far as the elbow, I had Aaron Larson fab me this and its a great piece. He could have made one that fits under the cowl, but we chose to go this route as to not choke the air flow. I'm not sure if you noticed Nitro Dave's near the intake flange, but the size of the elbow is reduced tremendously. I figured if I was going through this trouble to get more airflow, I wasn't going to have this be any sort of limitation. I do not know if there even is an air restriction, but I just wasn't going to take a chance.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 383ss
cut the cowl out at 2AM last night so its a little rough. I hadn't seen anyone run an aircleaner before. it fits under the STOCK Z28 hood with a little cutting.
contrary to what I've heard, the stock throttle cable works fine. I cut the dowell in the end off and about another 2" of the cable and crimped on an electrical eye connector. looks like it will hold just fine and does the job well. the throttle cable mount that comes with the kit works pretty well with minor modificaiton. the mounting bracket just had a square hole in it, i just opened up the top of it and slid the throttle cable in. just modded it to work like the stock cable mount.
everything else was pretty straightforward.

Looks good! Now you need an ABS delete to bring out the engine more
Old 02-28-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Looks very nice!!! Can't wait to see your dyno results!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:04 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd go as far as to stick the intake on a bridgeport and cut a bunch off the top of the intake, and the flange on the elbow if need be to clear the hood. intakelbows.com supposedly has one that will clear, look at the pic's on their website, there's one that is supposed to drop the tb to stock location.... that is what I will try to use when the time comes.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'd go as far as to stick the intake on a bridgeport and cut a bunch off the top of the intake, and the flange on the elbow if need be to clear the hood. intakelbows.com supposedly has one that will clear, look at the pic's on their website, there's one that is supposed to drop the tb to stock location.... that is what I will try to use when the time comes.
Thats the same place that did my elbow. He'll do what ever you ask for and his prices are very cheap. The last picture in the gallery is mine just after the swap with a different air cleaner, MAF, and nasty hole in the radiator panel.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Looks good! Now you need an ABS delete to bring out the engine more
I have a billingsly !ABS block