Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85mm lid vs. FIPK, did some calculations

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 85mm lid vs. FIPK, did some calculations

I'm going to a 90/90 setup and was thinking of replacing my FIPK with something else because I was worried the opening at the back of the filter was too small. So I took off the filter and with a digital caliper, measured the length and width of the opening. Length came out to 5.87" and width was 1.9". I then used the formula for the area of an ellipse and arrived at 8.755 sq. in. for the area of the opening.

Well that doesn't tell us much without comparing the area of an 85mm lid opening. Using the formula for the area of a circle, I got 8.790 sq in. If you convert both of these to mm, we get 222.377 sq. mm for the FIPK and 223.266 for the 85 mm lid. So the 85mm lid opening is less than ONE SQUARE MILLIMETER in area larger. And yes, I used inner diameter on both (assuming the 85mm lid ID is truely 85mm).

I think I'll be keeping my FIPK
Old 02-28-2006, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how that works out. I was thinking about the FIPK for my 90/90 setup as well and fortunatley the NW TB accepts the stock size tubing. I am also getting rid of the MAF and going SD tuned to get rid of another restriction.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

something u didnt take into consideration.
yes the NECK is 85mm but what i noticed about my TSP 85mm lid it neck down to a oval/"D" shape where the neck meets the lid. i was well lets just say very disappointed
has anyone run a 85mm MAF with a FIPK?
Old 02-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
something u didnt take into consideration.
yes the NECK is 85mm but what i noticed about my TSP 85mm lid it neck down to a oval/"D" shape where the neck meets the lid. i was well lets just say very disappointed
has anyone run a 85mm MAF with a FIPK?
Well, in TSPs defense, they didn't have a lot of room to work with under the hood...the clearance between the top of the lid and the hood, and the bottom of the lid neck and the radiator shroud is very tight. Guess they had to make a compromise

I'm happy with mine though

Quick Reply: 85mm lid vs. FIPK, did some calculations