Flood Titled Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flood Titled Car

Has anybody ever bought a flood titled car? I have been noticing quite a few Z06's with flood titles for cheap. I'd been planning on getting a WS6 and swapping motors and putting a charger on it. But it seems I can get a Z for close to the same price with a flood title as a decent F-body. Is there anything I should look for? I figure motors shot, wiring harness possibly, but is there anything else? I guess what I'm asking is if the interior was not effected, what major parts might or should be looked at to decide if it is worth it. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge in the Texas forum.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

you know where all those cars with flood titles are coming from right, Katrina, i would be really careful right now about buying a flood title car
i was in MS with the military and left 4 days before the storm hit
Old 02-28-2006, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

I bought a car once that I knew had been flooded up to the dash. Even after taking every connector loose under the dash and hood and drying everything out, draining all the fluids and making sure all the fluids was clean and fresh it still was the biggest headach I've ever owned. IMO, unless your willing to put up with whatever electrical "gremlins" may come along I'd say pass on flood titled cars. But that's JMO based on one very bad experience,,,,,,,,
Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

wiring harness, eng/transmission, interior(if you can get rid of that musty smell); basically besides the frame if you can get everything else replaced you are in good shape.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It will cost you more in time, headaches, money than just buying a good car to begin with. With modern day electronics you do not want to make a mistake like that. It adds up to big $$$ pretty quick.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

my last car was a flood car. it was ok for a lil while then it was one prob after another. and that musty smell never did completely go away.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Well, after reading the posts, a few quotes come to mind. "You get what you pay for", and "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is."
I'm still considering it. The one I've had my eye on the owners claim water heighth was mid wheel.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

where is the car from if its from the gulf coast area thats what would worry me
Old 02-28-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

they sell flood titles cheap for a reason
Old 02-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

Definately what all they said if your gonna spend that much money on a car might as well get a good one you can't really know whats wrong with a car until a mechanic looks at it you might get lucky or you might get screwed the question is where your lucky or not and if you are very mechanically inclinded!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
Definately what all they said if your gonna spend that much money on a car might as well get a good one you can't really know whats wrong with a car until a mechanic looks at it you might get lucky or you might get screwed the question is where your lucky or not and if you are very mechanically inclinded!
Well, after getting the general consensus, I guess I'll keep looking for a high mileage WS6 or Z06.
Thanks for all the advice.
Aaron