General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

messed up wheel studs... help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default messed up wheel studs... help needed

Wheel studs have bad threads and some studs were broken off. 95' Z28....Are the steps still the same...???

Hammer out old studs after removing the brake hammer etc. and put new studs in? ..... are the steps that simple?

Does discount tire do this kind of work? and how much would they charge?

We have managed to get 2 lugnuts on each of the back two wheels w/ One lugnut on each wheel tightened down but lacks a few threads to seat on the wheel...THINK ITS SAFE ENOUGH TO DRIVE TO about a mile to discout in the morning?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, don't drive it. I would say 3 are safe for moving it around but no less. You could get stuck in traffic or have a detour. Never know.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can tell u from experince 2 isnt safe....someone lossned the lug nuts on my car at work ... and i realized whil driving it broke 3 of the studs....i tightend the 2 that were left...and i got about 100 feet before i heard one more snap...luckily i made it into a parking lot...but i replaced the studs there...pretty simple...just manuvering them in is the tricky part
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is really simple to do, you just need a hammer.

My wifes new car came with a cross-threaded nut and I didn't find it until I wanted to take off the wheel to check the brakes. I broke it when I put my weight on it trying to get it off.

I went to the parts store to get another one. Got home, got the hammer out, whacked the broken lug out and tapped in a new one. Tightening the new one pulled it all the way in and then I was done.

Easy as pie. Just be sure you get the proper nut/lug for your application. The guy a the parts store said the part number was right but it didn't match at all. Good thing I brought it all with me to the store so I could compare.