Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistle

Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistle

Is it normal for my car under load around 3000rpm to whistle. Sounds not like a charger but exactly like a whistle, would this be an intake leak? I have a lid, 85mm maf and 80mm bbk tb. Which neither of which I purchased, but anyway wasnt sure if that whistle was normal with my application. thanks.
\

Mods. catback, lid, 85mm maf, 80mm bbk tb. tune.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

A.I.R system maybe???
check that pump
Old 02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

I removed it all, sorry i didnt mention it. but yea not AIR
Old 02-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BBK TBs are known to whistle a little bit...I'd guess the answer is in there.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a whistle as well, it only is apparent when the car is cold and upon start up. It lasts for about 20 seconds then goes away. I'm guessing its the o-ring that fits around the EGR tube, because when i did the chop EGR mod i didn't replace the o-ring which i have heard is recommended. The next time i hear i'm just gonna pop my hood and stick my ear right by the EGR tube. I let you know what i find.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I was reading about the BBK, I came across this "whistle". I visited their website, and they have a FAQ on it. Your part number is 1709.

Here's the link: http://www.bbkperformance.com/tech1.shtml#Q8

They have a fix for it, and I'll cut-and-paste it here for reference:
Turbulence in the airflow stream can create a whistle. This can be created by sharp edges in the air intake system, most notably when a larger throttle body is used on a stock intake that has not been 'Port Matched.' The air along the outer edges of the air intake system and throttle body hits the "wall" of the smaller intake manifold, creating turbulence that can cause a noticeable whistle. Other trouble areas can be the small vacuum ports and the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve port which may empty into the main bore of the throttle body. If these edges are square enough at the entry point of the bore, it can create turbulence, and the air will whistle passed it (similar to blowing over the top of an empty cola bottle just right to get it to whistle).

BBK offers a 1 year manufacturers warranty against any defects in materials or workmanship. If you feel that the ports of your throttle body are creating a whistle, you can request an RGA number (Returned Goods Authorization number) and return it to us, at which time we will inspect your piece, and further hone as you may feel it to necessary. Alternatively, if you would rather keep possession of your throttle body, and you feel you are adept enough with simple hand tools, you may want to try and hone the ports yourself with fine grit sandpaper. Some customers are adept enough with a small drill or Dremel-type tool to lightly sand the edges down. Be aware though, that any irreparable damages done to the product on the customers behalf cannot be warranteed by BBK. If you feel that you are not capable of the task or do not want to risk possible damage, BBK strongly urges you to send the part in under warranty. Be aware though, that further honing the throttle body will not cure any whistling issues if the problem actually lies elsewhere in the system, and if the added airflow of a larger-bore throttle body is only making the problem perceptible.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1TORQ
I have a whistle as well, it only is apparent when the car is cold and upon start up. It lasts for about 20 seconds then goes away. I'm guessing its the o-ring that fits around the EGR tube, because when i did the chop EGR mod i didn't replace the o-ring which i have heard is recommended. The next time i hear i'm just gonna pop my hood and stick my ear right by the EGR tube. I let you know what i find.
Your whistle is in fact your A.I.R. system pump. You can find it right under the driver side head light. See if it is coming from there. I bet it is.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said in a previous post that he removed AIR.

Search this Thread