Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One man LT installation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One man LT installation?

Well I go to school out of state so none of my buddies are going to be home at the same time as me for spring break. I'm hoping to install my LT's and TD's over this period and I'm wondering exactly how much of a painit's going to be to get the job done on my own. I've got all week and I'm willing to be as patient about it as I need to be (up to and including taking the entirety of the week to ensure that I don't end up with backfiring or any other problems.) I'm wondering
1) how hard is this going to be for a fairly novice modder.
2) Would I be better off waiting till this summer?
3) Any advice/tips that you can recommend so that I can do this as easily as possible and not completely screw my car up?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is a job you can do by yourself, but always helps to have another set of hands. If you can SAFELY get the car high enough it shouldn't be a problem to install. Just take a look @ the how to and you should be fine.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Alright. What about the backfiring problems, etc though? That's my main concern. I don't want to save 250 by installing it myself only to cost myself a grand in the long run by messing something up. From what I've seen in this section of the forums problems seem to occcur a lot on these installs.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

I have only got experience with QTPs and MACs, but maybe I can be a little helpful.

Get the vehicle as high as possible, SAFELY!!! I have found with QTPs, the driver' s side header needs to be turned verticle, in order to guide it between the crossmember, engine, and body. You may need to remove oil filter, drain plug, starter, steering shaft, and the dipstick tube. With the QTPs, I found only the dipstick tube needed to be removed. Of course, if you have handtools, you may want to pull the passenger' s side coilpack off, for accessibility. Change your spark plugs at the same time. It doesn' t take a hard hit, from the header, to crack a plug, and chances are, a set of new plugs won' t hurt ya', or be expensive.

Bottom line, is I have done it myself before. I couple big jack stands, a high-lift jack, and some common handtools will get you though the job. Do a SEARCH for Pacesetters, and see what kind of things you need to modify, if any. Expect, although it may not turn out to be necessary, to have to take the car to a muffler shop, for the TSP. It is not that big of a problem, since you have a lot of time, and just be patient, and search.

You' ll be okay.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

headers are a breeze.... just get the car high enough.

Last edited by 01ls1lover; 03-01-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

I did it myself last summer and I am 57 yrs old.
I used an extra set of small jack stands to balance the header while
I screwed in the flange bolts.If you have any questions or problems
feel free to pm me.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:07 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IF you can jack it a few feet in the air you will be fine.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

It is easier than it looks and the only thing I say to get is a set of ratcheting wrenches as they will save you a great amount of time. I did the job by myself in my garage on jackstands. Like said above just read the how-to and then look at it and take your time. Good Luck.
Michael
Old 03-01-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fairly easy to do the install by yourself, big thing to watch is safety, don't drop the car on yourself (that'll ruin your day)
Take your time, label any hoses, wires, whatever that you take off for access.
One thing that helped me, was cutting the heads off several bolts and threading them into the head, so I could basically hang the header off the bolt (you can use althread if you want) and it wouldn't drop out and smack me in the head.
Good luck, take your time, and do it right, if you get pissed off take a break, come back later and try again
Old 03-01-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

if you're installing pacesetters you will be fine,they almost install themselves.i got the car up,took off the stock y pipe,set it back down and took all the manifold bolts out besides front and back ones,just loosened them,jacked it back up and took them out and you're ready for the headers.the all-thread sounds like a good idea because sometimes it's hard to get the header bolts to start.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Alright guys, thanks for the encouragement, not quite so worried about it now. I don't mind the exhaust being paid for, one of the places nearby said they'd do it for 50 bucks and another quoted 150.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

You can definately do it yourself. I put my pacesetters on myself and took them off myself I put the rear on ramps and the front end on 6 ton jackstands all the way up. (a high lift jack helps here) All I had to remove was the steering shaft/knuckle. Definately make some studs to hold the gasket and hang the header on from under the car, then you can go up top and install the bolts. Good luck
Old 03-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Piece of cake, just did my headers and y-pipe last week in about 2 hours, probably longer for you but you won't need help it's easy. Racheting wrench's are life savers too if you don't have some get some i use them everytime i work on any of my cars now. I also took the gaskets (stock replacement ones) i bought and cut a slot out on the front hole an the rear hole so i could set the gaskets down in there with the bolts holding the header up. Why they aren't like this to begin with the ones on my mustang are and it makes it so much easier.

The hardest thing i had to do was put the y-pipe on i had the drop the whole exhaust system down alittle to get it to fit right. It was more time consuming then hard though.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

the steering column is just two bolts right? i didnt have to take mine off last time but im putting different headers on, myself, with a jack, and im also trying to make it as trouble free as possible
Old 03-04-2006, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First you have to get a six pack of cold ones, a great cigar, a portable radio (playing heavy metal preferably), jack stands and a floor jack. Have some patience and use a **** load of anti-seize on every nut and bolt you have including header bolts and all of the exhaust clamps. If for some reason down the road you have to drop any of your exhaust components they will come free without gauling the threads. One more thing I would also recomend, order a pizza and have them deliver it 2 hours from the time you call, that way when its time to crank the motor to check for leaks you can be eating lunch!! This is a great bonding time between you and your car, enjoy it and feel the love!! LOL!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetters are easy. only thing was getting the car high enough on ramps AND alot of 2x4s.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by carado1984
the steering column is just two bolts right? i didnt have to take mine off last time but im putting different headers on, myself, with a jack, and im also trying to make it as trouble free as possible
Yes, only two bolts.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Launching!

the one problem i had was getting the stock plug wire off the last cylinder on passenger side.
thanks to a friend for having a spark plug wire boot remover after getting pissed and pulling on the wire at midnight!
so i would get wires with the spark plug or thespark plug terminal pliers is what worked for me.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
pacesetters are easy. only thing was getting the car high enough on ramps AND alot of 2x4s.
I didn't even have to use 2x4's i jacked my floor jack up just about to it's highest and they went right in.

dopey- is it hard to get to that spark plug itself? I kinda thought it would be so i installed that one plug before i set the header up in there. Now that i'm going the nitrous route i have to remove it for a colder plug figures lol.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89tang
I didn't even have to use 2x4's i jacked my floor jack up just about to it's highest and they went right in.

dopey- is it hard to get to that spark plug itself? I kinda thought it would be so i installed that one plug before i set the header up in there. Now that i'm going the nitrous route i have to remove it for a colder plug figures lol.
You mean you didn't use jack stands! Sounds like russian roulette to me!