Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does this sound like a winner to you ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this sound like a winner to you ??

Im getting my Pro turbo systems kit in 2 weeks now and this is the combo what do you think I should do different.

All the hot parts
Precision 76 gts-h turbo
huge front mount intercooler
38mm turbosmart wastegate
50mm tial bov

366 cid iron block
stock crank
Oliver billit rods
Diamond pistons 9:1
Patriot s3 ls6 style heads 2.08 1.60 64cc
Futral f-4 cam 226,226-575,575 on 114
Edelbrock victor jr intake with elbow and stock ported throttle body

4l60 I know it will be replaced later
4200 stall yank pye

stock rear for now 3.23 gears.

Car wieghs 3500 race weight

cuts 1.52 60's at 11.05 @ 123 now with the above combo except stock short block

I plan on running 10 psi for now then when the rest of the car is built I will push it to 20+ psi

So what do you think this thing is capable of and have I missed anything

Thanks for all the help for you FI guys steering me along the way . I hope this thing goes single digits.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 PM
SSU Moderator

Personally, I'd do the following.

-Dart 225cc heads (with ARP studs)
-I don't have a calculator handy, but overlap can be helpful in a turbo car. INTMD8 knows his stuff, I'd talk to him or W2W about a cam. I personally don't like off the shelf cams or really any cam over like 224/224 for a turbo car. Boost is going to give you power...plus I like quiet cars.
-Get an elbow that puts the TB in the stock location. Plus, a ported TB isnt really going to do much IMO. Unless its already ported...just leave it and save time/$.
-I don't think you'll need more than like a 3400-3600 stall. 3.23's will be fine.
-You could even go lower with compression and let the timing do the work. No personal experience here, just seeing what others have done and commented about.

I like A2W coolers because I don't like holes in the bumpers, but everything else looks good to go.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

I would agree with everything you said except I have had all these parts on the car and running now for one year. Except for the new short block and the turbo kit. I agree this is probably not the best way to build a turbo car but its what Ive got to work with. I am on a tight budget and this will have to do for now. I will be doing things as the money allows . I know all of you are going to say turbos and budgets dont mix and I tend to agree. I already have about 15000 in this car as is just getting the car up and running for the turbo .

On a side not does anyone know the best deal on 72# RC injectors and where to get them. I cant find them on any of the sponsor sites.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

its going to be very tough to do 20#'s even down the road unless u use a head with a thicker deck.The combo sounds pretty good,i would have opted for a 44mm wastegate but the rest sounds good.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

I would have gotten a bigger wastegate also but pro turbo and the owner of forcedinductions.com said it would be ok up to 1000 horses. I dont believe it but thats what they told me, and the piping is set up for that wastegate so for now thats what Ill run and lter ill upgrade to atmosphere dump and bigger mm. As far as head deck goes I can live with the fact that I will push a little water at the track under high boost. I had to deal with it with my old 346 and 325 shot of spray. It would only lift the heads on the dyno and just a little at the end of the track. The iron block should help a little over my old aluminium one.

Like I said once more money comes I will try to get better parts but I already have these so I will just reuse them on this motor for now. The trans is the biggest of my problems for now ,its about gone and its going to cost $3000 for a th400 setup.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTFORMULA
Im getting my Pro turbo systems kit in 2 weeks now and this is the combo what do you think I should do different.

All the hot parts
Precision 76 gts-h turbo
huge front mount intercooler
38mm turbosmart wastegate
50mm tial bov

366 cid iron block
stock crank
Oliver billit rods
Diamond pistons 9:1
Patriot s3 ls6 style heads 2.08 1.60 64cc
Futral f-4 cam 226,226-575,575 on 114
Edelbrock victor jr intake with elbow and stock ported throttle body

4l60 I know it will be replaced later
4200 stall yank pye

stock rear for now 3.23 gears.

Car wieghs 3500 race weight

cuts 1.52 60's at 11.05 @ 123 now with the above combo except stock short block

I plan on running 10 psi for now then when the rest of the car is built I will push it to 20+ psi

So what do you think this thing is capable of and have I missed anything

Thanks for all the help for you FI guys steering me along the way . I hope this thing goes single digits.
Looks good!! Heads are fine, cams a little big, but fine too!! That set-up will make plenty of power!!! The biggest problem I see your stall. More likely than not, you are going to blow right through it. Check out cablebandit and Ryan K set-up. I know cablebandit went 9's with the 4l60e (don't remember if Ryan still has the 4l60e), so you may want to look at his stall to gauge where your's will be. I believe they both had a 10bolt aswell, though you are on borrowed time.

Very good choice on the set-up, I think you'll be really happy with it!

Later,
Dave
Old 03-01-2006, 03:17 PM
SSU Moderator

Ah, I didnt realize everything was already on the car. In that case, proceed as planned. WG should be fine I think.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTFORMULA
I would have gotten a bigger wastegate also but pro turbo and the owner of forcedinductions.com said it would be ok up to 1000 horses...........

...told me the same.

We shall see.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my .02

converter is way to big, unless you plan to spin it beyond 7500 rpm.

Cam will work, i have something similar in my truck

the 76 will be hard pressed if you plan to push it close to 20 psi. You'll have no problems with the heads at that level, just stud the motor and keep good fuel in it.

gate size is a function of LOWEST boost setting, has nothing to do with power output. Max power = closed wastegate.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Will the 72#ers be enough ?? Should I try to get 8.5:1 pistons in stead of 9.0:1?
How much power would I pick up if I got a turbo spec. cam? Should I go with a th400 with transbrake, or do a powerglide with transbrake. I will get the 9 inch after a while too what gears??
Old 03-01-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Harlin I know you are the best person for these questions above and what trans and convertor would you recommend. Also love your 2 step I got for you.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a winner to you ??