Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on outside of spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on outside of spark plug?

I was checking to make sure that all of my header bolts were tight last night when I found that my passenger side spark plug in the very back had a coating of oil on it. There was also a small amount of oil in the recessed area of the head that holds the spark plug. I just changed the plugs about 1-2 months ago before I put my headers on so I know that they were clean when I put them in.

Has anyone else had this problem and figured out where the oil was coming from?

My best guess was that it was from a leaking valve cover gasket so I removed the coil pack assembly on the passenger side valve cover and tightened up the center valve cover bolts a little more (they were pretty tight though). Another idea is that the driver side valve cover has the crankcase vent that goes from the drivers side to the passenger side back there too...maybe it is leaking.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction to fix this from happening again?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likely it's coming through the PCV.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possible on the valve cover gasket too as you already mentioned. Only way to know is take off the valve cover and inspect the gasket. Just tightening them does nothing for the leak. I know because I had the same issue last year.