Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anybody g-tech w/turbo car??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anybody g-tech w/turbo car??

has anybody else used a g-tech meter like the older one, on there turbo car, and want to admit what the times were?
I've heard of guys throwing them away case they were unhappy w/the results and sometimes they just dont work on some cars..., but I tried last night on street tires and had to feather the throttle like crazy 1st and part of 2nd, but I got a 12.6 @ 121, does that sound slow for street tires and 5.5lbs of boost on an otherwise stock ls1 M6 vette(all exhaust going through stock 99 mufflers, mcleod twin disc w/steel flywheel, dte brace, and hardened ouput shaft only other mods), I'm thinking I've got about 440 to the wheels, my afr was 10.8-11.0 so it was on the safe side.... in the past on other cars I've picked up .6 from drag radials alone... my mph is allways on the high side w/this car, I watched the video and the speedo is climbing like crazy above 60.... I know there are some 10.9 sec. cars running 121mph, and most about 11.5 at that speed... any others in the same boat??
Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Assassin
has anybody else used a g-tech meter like the older one, on there turbo car, and want to admit what the times were?
I've heard of guys throwing them away case they were unhappy w/the results and sometimes they just dont work on some cars..., but I tried last night on street tires and had to feather the throttle like crazy 1st and part of 2nd, but I got a 12.6 @ 121, does that sound slow for street tires and 5.5lbs of boost on an otherwise stock ls1 M6 vette(all exhaust going through stock 99 mufflers, mcleod twin disc w/steel flywheel, dte brace, and hardened ouput shaft only other mods), I'm thinking I've got about 440 to the wheels, my afr was 10.8-11.0 so it was on the safe side.... in the past on other cars I've picked up .6 from drag radials alone... my mph is allways on the high side w/this car, I watched the video and the speedo is climbing like crazy above 60.... I know there are some 10.9 sec. cars running 121mph, and most about 11.5 at that speed... any others in the same boat??
I've found the G-tech pretty darn accurate through the 1/8 mile, then it gets a bit of variation. I run mine at the track to compare to the timeclocks. 60', 1/8 times/ mph, are all w/in 1/100 sec or .3mph. The 1/4 seems to vary by about 1-2mph and .1-.7sec. Still not bad for a $200 gizmo suction-cupped to the dash.

To gtruly accurate times you need to ensure the G-tech is calibrated, to include the accurate weight of your vehicle with you in it. It will skew the numbers otherwise. 121mph is probably a bit high. 115-118 on a stock car w/ 5lbs seems more believable. Noever know, could be. The wheelspin will artificially increase your mph in the 1/4 too and of course decrease your ET.

With a 5lb turbo on a stock LS1, I'd guess you're looking around 400RWHP, which is about 465 or so at the crank. Heck, I'm probably only making 450 or so RWHP and have LT's, a cam, and the turbo.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also don't forget that at the track they use the last 60' to avarage your speed, so the gtech is closer to your real spead.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

its one of those older one's w/the red digital display... I heard it never did read good numbers, oh well, now the wait for good track time, sucks when 300 people are in line...
Old 03-02-2006, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Schantin
...To gtruly accurate times you need to ensure the G-tech is calibrated, to include the accurate weight of your vehicle with you in it. It will skew the numbers otherwise. 121mph is probably a bit high. 115-118 on a stock car w/ 5lbs seems more believable. Noever know, could be. The wheelspin will artificially increase your mph in the 1/4 too and of course decrease your ET.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that calibrating the weight of your car only affected the g-tech's estimated HP values.
Since the accelerometer in the unit determines your actual acceleration rate, the times and speeds will be accurate regardless of wheel spin and regardless of what weight you vehicle really is.

I've heard really good things about the g-tech's accuracy (even the old ones) with most people claiming it's just a little bit off and consistently so (which makes it good for quantifying the benefits of performance mods.)
Old 03-02-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

I used to have the "old" little black one, and I now use one of their "pro" models from about three years ago. For their newer models, I'd say accuracy is OK, and precision is excellent.

jyeager, you are partially correct. For pure acceleration numbers, the unit does not require vehicle weight. You will still pay for poor launches and wheelspin, however, as the unit detects that first bump of acceleration and starts timing you immediately... and if you're spinning after that, well, your times will suffer.

The current models that allow connection to PC and dumping data are most useful, IMO, for doing 2nd gear "dyno" runs. This requires accurate weight for the car (I even correct for how much fuel is in the tank). You start off, run 1st gear to about 4k, shift to 2nd, and roll the throttle evenly to WOT. If you're on a level road with not much wind, successive runs in both directions will generate HP/TQ vs. rpm curves that are virtually identical. So the meter is most useful for showing real-world acceleration (fully-loaded motor) for you to use in measuring the impact of mods on the same car. I wouldn't waste too much time trying to compare your numbers to other cars, unless you can run the tests the same way.

*edit* So anyway, I'm thinking that for turbo cars this might actually allow you to tune under actual engine/drivetrain loading, and (when used with a logging wideband) help you get the most out of your system. Might also be useful for eBoost2 users.

Last edited by RW99; 03-02-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

i also have the "pro" model which is very accurate. with my 99Z(before i wrecked it while playing around w/ the g-tech believe it or not) I was within 1tenth and 1mph than my actual time/mph at the track. Ran the track time then g-tech time on the street roughly 1 week apart. Used it on the SS to but havent ran the SS at the track yet so cant compare
Old 03-02-2006, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I had one 5-6 years ago, and the ET was +/-.1, and the mph was +3 high.

Somewhat useful, especially if you are not near a track, but we'll crucify you if you put in your sig.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
but we'll crucify you if you put in your sig.
yea i remember askin bout that for the 05 boosted list. Me=
Old 03-04-2006, 01:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked_Hugger99
i also have the "pro" model which is very accurate. with my 99Z(before i wrecked it while playing around w/ the g-tech believe it or not) I was within 1tenth and 1mph than my actual time/mph at the track. Ran the track time then g-tech time on the street roughly 1 week apart. Used it on the SS to but havent ran the SS at the track yet so cant compare
I have the same one. It seems accurate cept for the 1/4 which is consistently .4-.7sec faster than the track clock. Mabye the track clock's not quite right.....?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

G-Techs were on ebay for $30 at one time.. I should've gotten one.