Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding exhaust leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finding exhaust leaks

I was wondering what is a good way to tell if the exhaust is leaking out of the headers at the heads. I think there might be a leak at the heads but I'm not sure. Is there an easy way to tell?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Look for black marks around the header flange and manifold gasket along the heads. Also possible it is in the back of the gasket underneath the headers where it would not be visible with an open hood.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:44 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ What he said. ^^^

As long as you've been driving it a while, there will be black blowout marks if it has been leaking. Might have to get a mirror and flashlight to check some parts though. New OEM gaskets are cheap and you can change them out without removing the headers. Just unbolt one side at a time, slip in the new gasket, and bolt it back up.

I've heard of people putting a vacuum cleaner on BLOW, or putting an air compresser blower tip in the exhaust, then listening for leaks with the car turned off, but i have'nt tried it. Also heard of starting it up cold and squirting on some soapy water for bubbles, have to go fast before it starts making steam. Alot of leaks only develop once the car reaches temp, so you might want to try the air blower method with the car warmed up.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

when you first start your car feel for the leaks.i feel for the leaks after mine is warmed up also but watch out,those header tubes are hot bastards !
Old 03-02-2006, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Try Using A Leaf Blower And Soapy Water

Quick Reply: Finding exhaust leaks