Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1967 firebird 3speed manual clutch noise

Old 03-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 firebird 3speed manual clutch noise

Hey, I'm new to LS1 and new to the car crowd. I just bought a 1967 Firebird, it was originally a 326, it now has a 350 pontiac with a 3 speed manual trans. a few problems, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
First, when the clutch it not engaged, I hear a jingling sound coming from the clutch, when I engage the clutch (push it down) the jingling slows down to a whine, then stops after a few seconds. When I let the clutch pedal up again, the sound resumes.
and second, the brakes are drums, everyone tells me I need to switch to disks, I have a buddy who put baers on his 2002 camaro SS, he said I can have his stock brakes from that job. (only like 6000 miles on them), can that be done? 2002 disks on a 1967 f-body?
thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your throw out bearing is giving it up.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The jingling could just be a roll-over noise of the trans.Your explanation points to a trans noise because it spins down with the clutch dis- engaged( pushing in in dis-connects the clutch). I wouldn't get too excited about it untill it gets to sqeeking.In that case it would most likely need a throw-out bearing change.
Don't know about the brakes. BTW I have a '68 400 vert and the only thing I dislike about the car is the 4 wheel drum brakes.Also, mine has a 400 auto his/hers dual gate shifter.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front disc would be a pretty straightforward conversion, I'd think. Just get the parts from a donor car. You'd likely need the spindles, the brake components, and the proportioning valve.

Rear discs would be trickier, as there weren't any (??) from the factory with that setup. I know for second gens, the holy grail of rear ends is the 1979 WS6 rear end with disc brakes. The ideal disc brake setup would also allow you to retain emergency brakes.

I have a spare pair of 1994 LT1 car rear brakes, and I did try bolting them on to my 79 Z28 rear axle. There were issues with shock mount clearance on the rear axle tube. They were certainly not going to 'bolt right on'. I think I was able to bolt them on with one of them flipped over (caliper on the fore side of axle), but it would not retain e-brake capability.

I doubt you'd be able to use the brakes from the '02. Even though complete kits are expensive (like a Baer or Wildwood kit, probably in the $2000+ range), they'd save you time versus piecing something together, relocating your shock mounts, etc... unless you just like that kind of thing. Then I'd say go for it.

And with bigger brakes, of course, you must run bigger wheels. I doubt 14" steelies would fit any more.

Search this Thread