LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A Possible Quick Time Performance LT1 Header?

Old 03-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Possible Quick Time Performance LT1 Header?

What’s up guys? My name is Alex the new guy over at Quick Time Performance.

While cleaning up inventory in the shop I stumbled across a prototype set of 93-97 LT1 Race Style Long Tube Headers. I personally own a 1995 LT1 Z28, and they immediately sparked my own interest. I spoke with my boss about possible production, but I first need to gather if their would be any serious interest in them incase we actually went ahead with production?

The headers would be high velocity style stainless steel 1 3/4"x 3" with a polished finish and 02‘ fittings. The price for the race style would approximately be running $725.00. After looking at the prototype I can assure that the finished product will definitely be top notch like our very popular high velocity LS1 headers.

If anyone has any questions or comments feel free to respond via posting, PM or Email. I will try and be as prompt as possible! Also if anyone is curious to see any pictures just let me know I will get some up as soon as possible!

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds great, but I would suspect most LT1 guys would also want a matching option on the Y-pipe
Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lets see some pics!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Lets see some pics but for that price you are going to have to face Kooks and they have a good history and great products.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quick96ss
Lets see some pics but for that price you are going to have to face Kooks and they have a good history and great products.
I agree.

I have a set of KooK's full length stepped headers, I find it hard to believe anyone could build a better set than what KooK's offers... their stuff is almost like art work.

It's all going to come down to the price and Y-pipe options, do something different like offer a dual cut-out option and you might have a winner. I know I had to have one custom made, and that cost me some serious coin, had your headers been availible with just such an option I probably would have bought differently.

Now that I think about it...

I used your 3" stainless cut-outs to make my Y-pipe... Damn fine peice of work you did on those!!

If anyone can make a set of headers comparable to KooK's... QTP WOULD BE THAT COMPANY!!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Houdini
I agree.

I have a set of KooK's full length stepped headers, I find it hard to believe anyone could build a better set than what KooK's offers... their stuff is almost like art work.

It's all going to come down to the price and Y-pipe options, do something different like offer a dual cut-out option and you might have a winner. I know I had to have one custom made, and that cost me some serious coin, had your headers been availible with just such an option I probably would have bought differently.

Now that I think about it...

I used your 3" stainless cut-outs to make my Y-pipe... Damn fine peice of work you did on those!!

If anyone can make a set of headers comparable to KooK's... QTP WOULD BE THAT COMPANY!!

I agree to what you said as well
The dual cut outs would be cool as hell i would buy them then (even though i just got my Kooks) but you would have something over Kooks and people would like that option.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Arent the Grots headers basically a QTP header?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be interested if two things were to happen:

(1) The ENTIRE header has to be 100% T-304. Not 304 pipes with 409 flanges. I have a rare set of Borla headers and after polishing them was disappointed to discover that the flanges were made of 409 stainless which means they'll eventually rust.

(2) Ground clearance, ground clearance, ground clearance. I cannot stress this enough. I did alot of research on long tube headers before I went with the ones I have and ground clearance was the ONLY reason I decided against long tubes. It seems to be hit and miss with different cars as to whether ground clearance is an issue or not. If you want to sell these things, you have to convince people that this problem will 100%, without a shadow of a doubt be nonexistant for them.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ground clearance and plug access are real important.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

A major deciding factor for me would be the inclusion of a Y-pipe. As some mentioned above, having an option for dual cutouts would be a unique and probably high selling item.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

1-7/8 that fit with no modifications in black or ceramic
Old 03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the ground clearance and plug access on the KooK's is about as good as it's going to get, considering 1-7/8" primairies and a 3" collector!

Focus on the issues that KooK's failed to capitalize on... Y-pipe fitment and Y-pipe options. Do those two, and under-cut a little on the pricing and you got yourself a winner.

QTP does very nice work, they have the skill to make this happen and the customer following to make some good sale #'s.

Shea
Old 03-02-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by amean94ta
1-7/8 that fit with no modifications in black or ceramic
I agree. Big tubes with a merge collector would great!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 7/8 primary with either a 3 or 3.5 inch collector that work with a/c and power steering...I would have bought a set if any were available..I had a set of Hedman;s modded to fit...you did say RACE header correct? Damn a set of fabbed $1400 headers. Also you need to explore making a set for 18* heads as many are now exploring that option. Make them and they will come.

David
Old 03-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Sorry guys but their are no plans to put a 1 7/8 or stepped header into production. We are just trying to work with what we have. Considering the other brand long tubes that are out on the market today; our price range isn’t bad at all for a polished stainless steel 1 ¾ header with High Velocity Merge collectors. Just take into consideration our considerably good reputation with our LS1 headers!

As far as Y-pipes are concerned, we have to make the header first! You could expect the prices and options to be very similar to the LS1 options.

So is their any intrest?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me address it like this. There is only one place right now where I can get a high quality SS LT1 header. That's Kooks. If there were another company that can produce the same line, I would be 50% likely to buy from that company.

If they were to produce a quality, equal length, stainless, high flow collector header that would work well for plug acess and with aftermarket tunnel mounted TQ arms, I would be more then 100% likely to buy.

In short, meet or exceed what Kooks has, and you would find that serious people would buy a serous product. I know I am getting stainless no matter what. Right now that leaves only Looks.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with what HBH said above.

In addition to that, I believe that I would be
in your demographic for consumers. I'm not
rolling in dough, but I don't mind spending a little
extra for a quality product.

The things I would look at at the time of
purchase are:

1. Longevity/Reliability- It better last if I drop the coin
2. More Power! - I need them to make as much, or more than the
competition.
3. Fit/Finish - The part has to fit with no more inconvenience
than the next leading product.

Overall, I'd love to see competition in the LT1 SS LT header market.

Another thing you can bank on is selling them on the basic fact
that they will be stainless steel. You can't go wrong with producing
them!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey, Kooks has the market on SS LT1 headers surrounded. They can charge all they want because if you want a SS header, you need to get it from them. Personally I think everyone should jump on and say "make them" because the biggest argument for most people that are NOT buying the kooks is price. We all know that with product competition battles, come competitive pricing. That's good for everyone.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
hey, Kooks has the market on SS LT1 headers surrounded. They can charge all they want because if you want a SS header, you need to get it from them. Personally I think everyone should jump on and say "make them" because the biggest argument for most people that are NOT buying the kooks is price. We all know that with product competition battles, come competitive pricing. That's good for everyone.
Well said, I agree 100%. Build them!
Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Launching!

keep me posted i want some

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Possible Quick Time Performance LT1 Header?