Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I MOSTLY fixed my banging Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How I MOSTLY fixed my banging Y-Pipe

Well after alot of Y-pipe wrangling I seem to have found a reasonable solution for my pacesetter ORY banging the floorboard.

I bought the Mufflex bumpstop hangar from thunder racing, and when I first put it on, it didnt work at all.

Well today I tried again, I loosened up the header bolts on the passenger side and pried the Y-Pipe down with a long screwdriver, I then shimmed it as far from the floorboard as possible with some small pieces of wood. I readjusted the bumpstop hangar to hold the Y-Pipe as far down as possible. I retightened the header bolts and removed the wood shims.

This significantly increased my clearance between the floorboard and y-pipe from essentially nothing to about 1/4". The banging is almost completely gone....

The only things I think I may still have to do is tach weld the band clamp for the hangar onto the pipe to keep it from shifting and possibly replace the transmission mount. Since it only seems to bump anymore when the trans is downshifting

Hope this helps somebody fix their Y-Pipe banging issues
Old 03-03-2006, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd try the poly motor and tranny mounts. They're not very expensive from Thunder Racing.

Most of the banging is probably due to movement of the engine when torquing couple to an essentially floating tranny. Besides poly mounts would be a sensible upgrade regardless.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Poly Mounts will take care of that problem for sure.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heat up the y pipe and bend it slighty, that what i did and problem was solved.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the post on this, my y-pipe bangs pretty badly adn I'm pretty sure it's setting off my knock sensor and costing me power. I might have to give this a shot
Old 03-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Restricted User

even tho i have a custom y-pipe, in regards to the poly mounts yes they're awesome...i only have the tranny mount and there is NO banging whatsoever...the only knock retard i was gettin a while back was due to my stock fuel pump takin a lol so in other words get poly mounts they're worth it...oh and be prepared cuz after my tranny poly mount install i noticed alot more vibration comin from the console/throughout the car...jus my .02 hope this helps somebody
Old 03-03-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I know poly motor mounts are undisputably the right way to fix it, but between the added cost and extensive amount of effort involved with installing them , I am trying to avoid them, although they will come eventually
Old 03-03-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

what i did was just..get a marker and mark where the floor board drops down and take it off and either take it to a shop with a press or heat it up and just flatten it between the marks...it solved mine all the way without loosing ground clearance..and without fighting with motor mounts...just my .02
Old 03-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

The poly transmission mount solved my problem. Very easy to do as opposed to motor mounts.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I was thinking about just doing the transmission mount first to see if it helps, probably will need it eventually anyway and its a million times easier than the motor mounts to install

As for my current fix, it seems to have mostly stopped the bumping but I have some nasty vibrations going on , I think its because the band clamp is still round at the top where the pipe is crushed so its vibrating on the body, im going to try to bend it flat on top and see if it helps.

Once again just trying to keep up some good information for people trying to fix a banging y-pipe because it seems to be a common question with answers scattered everywhere
Old 03-04-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slimcracka
what i did was just..get a marker and mark where the floor board drops down and take it off and either take it to a shop with a press or heat it up and just flatten it between the marks...it solved mine all the way without loosing ground clearance..and without fighting with motor mounts...just my .02
I like this Idea, I'm going to remember this when I install mine.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Poly mounts are peanuts compared to other mods prices. If the problem is that bad, I would sacrifice 50$ and spring for the poly's.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

its not the price of the poly mounts that scares me, its the horror stories about the installation
Old 03-05-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
I like this Idea, I'm going to remember this when I install mine.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it ok to use poly mounts on just the tranny? I could've sworn I read somewere that it causes stress on the bell housing.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/464047-how-i-fixed-my-y-pipe-banging-pics.html

My version...
Old 03-05-2006, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Which y pipe bangs the worst, and which one bangs the least?