PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with light throttle sputter.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with light throttle sputter.

I have recently put a LS1 in place of a LT1 in a '61 VW. In general it runs very good, but still has some problems that I think require more knowledge that I have. I adapted the factory wirinng harness and fuel pump, but I am not running the EGR, Air pump, Evap, and currently I have no rear O2 sensors. The car sputters at very light throttle after about 3 minutes from start up, and clears up after about another 7-10 minutes driving at highway speeds. After it clears it runs great, but once the key is cycled, it all starts over. Otherwise the car runs great, idles smooth. Could this be the fault of the rear O2's? I am in the process of wiring the diagnostic port, and I hope it works without the star connector. I hope a scan tool will help me with the problem. What scanners are the best for the money? I have been looking at the AutoXrays. Thanks for any advice. Bill
Old 04-06-2003, 06:29 PM
wrencher

Default Re: Need help with light throttle sputter.

That car sounds like fun! The absence of the rear o2's is not the problem.The basic's are ok,plugs/wire/injectors? It sounds like you are going to have to hook up & scan the PCM's data stream for your answers.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Teching In

The car is a blasst, it gets about 60 miles a day on it to boot. I think I have covered the basics. The plugs are new, and all the wires ohm good. I have not had the injectors clean yet, other than simple additives. The thing that puzzles me, is the sputter clears with just a little more throttle. Any suggestions on a good scanner?
Old 04-07-2003, 08:20 PM
wrencher

I would suggest running a search on scanner & diagnostic programs, EFI live ,autotap etc.You'll get alot more info that way.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Default mass air flow

Originally Posted by Rudecaddy
I have recently put a LS1 in place of a LT1 in a '61 VW. In general it runs very good, but still has some problems that I think require more knowledge that I have. I adapted the factory wirinng harness and fuel pump, but I am not running the EGR, Air pump, Evap, and currently I have no rear O2 sensors. The car sputters at very light throttle after about 3 minutes from start up, and clears up after about another 7-10 minutes driving at highway speeds. After it clears it runs great, but once the key is cycled, it all starts over. Otherwise the car runs great, idles smooth. Could this be the fault of the rear O2's? I am in the process of wiring the diagnostic port, and I hope it works without the star connector. I hope a scan tool will help me with the problem. What scanners are the best for the money? I have been looking at the AutoXrays. Thanks for any advice. Bill
My 1995 lt1 was doing the same thing. i unpluged the mass air flow and it ran good.My mass air flow was bad. I replaced it and my car runs good now.