Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Best Work Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best Work Lights?

Well right now all i have is a light bulb with a really long extension cord.
Im lookin into buying some nice lights for working on the car. Who makes the best bang for the buck? Quality?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about bang for the buck, but I would not consider anything with an incandescent light. They get too hot and burn things. I like fluorescent, but I have used LED lights at the school shop and they work well. The LED survive dropping better than any of the others.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:05 PM
hashtagBMW

Well i bought a crafstman light with a damn fence on the front of it. Hopefully this prevals.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use a few different kinds since I used to have to work out of a carport. Probably the most used light I have is like this since it has plastic hooks to prevent scratches and a variety of positioning options.

I also have a few halogen lamps, only problem with these for me is it's hard to get them positioned at a good height for the truck.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OBXMarine
I use a few different kinds since I used to have to work out of a carport. Probably the most used light I have is like this since it has plastic hooks to prevent scratches and a variety of positioning options.

I also have a few halogen lamps, only problem with these for me is it's hard to get them positioned at a good height for the truck.

Where did you buy that top one? I've never seen a work light with that kind of bulb.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is actually 2 bulbs. I had one that I bought years ago at home depot for $9 with a single one like that, I’ve driven over it in my truck, dropped **** on it… and it finally died. I actually found another on sale at HF for $6 and I’m back in business.

I also have one of the long, red ended craftsman ones that I never really liked. It’s kind of big and dim, and the 2 switch thing on it is somewhat annoying (when the power goes out or you unplug it and plug it back in you have to screw around with it to get the ballast to light the bulb again).
Old 03-10-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i do my best work in the dark

but seriously get a decent flash light makita makes a nice one and maybe one of them single flood lights. I really dont use anything but my flash lite
Old 03-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I use one of those cordless FreedomLite LED things. It's bright enough for flood lighting and I can leave it on almost all day. I also use a flashlight that shares the batteries of my cordless drill (ridgid)
Old 03-11-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dgformula2k
Where did you buy that top one? I've never seen a work light with that kind of bulb.
Northern Tools. It has 2 fluorescent bulbs (high/low light settings and you don't have to worry about 2nd or 3rd degree burns ).
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...&R=200309803It

Craftsman also makes one that looks real nice (has a magnetic mount in addition to the 2 hooks).
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=03483893000
Old 03-11-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have a couple of those single fluorescent bulb drop lights. I like 'em because they fit anywhere, and you can do stuff like throw 'em on the floorboard while working under the dash, and not worry about burning the carpet (or yourself).

And then I have one of those dual headed 1000W halogen tripod lamps. For when I wish to play God ("Let there be Light"). Does the trick (especially when I was welding under the car), but they get HOT. Having both the fluorescents and the halogens is a nice mix.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

I still like the Mac Tools (and some other brand ones), tube work lights (meant just for mechanics)... dont know the "technical" name for them. Come in pretty handy.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Charging TA
I still like the Mac Tools (and some other brand ones), tube work lights (meant just for mechanics)... dont know the "technical" name for them. Come in pretty handy.
link?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

I use a few different ones at work.

I have these boiled down to a fine science.

Matco/MAC flourescent drop lights - 2 drops , and they are done. New bulbs are big money for those toilets as well.

Definately my least favorite lights. But the Matco has a extra outlet built into the handle of the light.

My new Snap-on drop light is bad ***. I've dropped it at least a dozen times from roughly 6.5', and the thing will not break. No outlet provision though... These are about $70 bucks.

I also bought a cheapie off my Snap-On guy called the "Sun Light". Just a twin tube flourescent drop light, with blue rubber protectors. I paid about $30 for this one, and definately recommend it.

The cheapie has been the best bargain yet. It's proven to be almost indestructible under regular use.

I love flashlights too, but find it best to have one of each.

Buy a twin tube drop light, and a nice flashlight with rechargable battery packs and call it a day
Old 03-24-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

The "twin tube" fluorescent is really just a single tube bent over... but I'll agree, it's the best. I've abused mine HARD, and only broken 1 bulb (when I got pissed and threw it, LOL). $4 for a new bulb and I was back in action. I think I paid $19 for it. And it has the extra outlet, and it doesn't get hot. Some of them don't have very long leads though. I have 1 (my old one) that has a 15 foot lead, and the other one is 10 (I think). The extra length really helps...
Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Huh, my Matco has two small tubes. Not sure about the Snappy light, haven't broken it yet.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got tired of replacing bulbs constantly and bought the one pictured above at Lowes for $15.00, plenty of light and you won't get burned.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At work, I have a 1 LED penlight, 2 AA Mag light with a 3 LED bulb, Couple Snap On Angle lights, and I just picked up a Mac Rechargeable Cordless Led Trouble Light not too long ago. It has 30 LED's :-D
Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Best light I have ever bought:

It's called the "freedom light" it's cordless and I have beat the hell out of it for over six months now and it hasn't missed a beat.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Strait Line

By far the best work/shop/trouble light I've ever bought, and for the price you can't beat it. The clamps can be removed so you can get it over things and well those clamps are awesome for working in and around the car....best light ever. It's also pretty damn bright, lot better then those crappy Baco lights that are shown.

I got it at Home Depot a few weeks ago. Awesome light
Attached Thumbnails Best Work Lights?-26w_sline_carhood3.jpg   Best Work Lights?-26w_sline_carhood.jpg   Best Work Lights?-26w_sline_newconst.jpg  
Old 04-07-2006, 06:25 PM
hashtagBMW

Damn that looks like it could light up more then just the engine bay.

Quick Reply: Best Work Lights?