Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a Hooker catback put on my LS1, very quiet! What went wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a Hooker catback put on my LS1, very quiet! What went wrong?

I got into a wreck earlier this year when someone rear ended me. I had a cut out before and after the wreck I just purchased a hooker cat back on my 1999 Trans Am. Well it was installed today and it's VERY quiet. Am I just used to the cut-out or will the muffler get louder? I LOVE the tips but I'm disapointed that it's not louder. Any advice? I plan on gutting the cats at least.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

The hooker catback is fairly quiet, but on the plus side it has very little rasp. It sounds great with hollow or no cats, and does not have a loud interior drone. If you are after an obnoxiously loud exhaust, this may not be the exhaust for you. FWIW a Hooker Catback will be my next purchase!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2kta--89formula
The hooker catback is fairly quiet, but on the plus side it has very little rasp. It sounds great with hollow or no cats, and does not have a loud interior drone. If you are after an obnoxiously loud exhaust, this may not be the exhaust for you. FWIW a Hooker Catback will be my next purchase!
The cut out rattled the inside of my car to pieces, I could barely stand a cold start while going to m 8 am classes..Maybe we'll see what happens when I destroy the cats
Old 03-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

it will get louder with break-in. I have the bassani quiet thunder which is like the slp dual dual. I had tsp duals before so it was a big change, but within a week or so, the muffler was broken in and the muscle sound came out.

I would say dont gut the cats since all cars I have heard sound like *** with gutted cats. Get some LT's and orp or high flow cats, and your setup will sound bad ***
Old 03-04-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

My first impression when I first started the car w/ the hooker catback was ... damn is my car running?!?! I was used to duals ... so part of it was probably relative to the duals the hooker was silent, and that as I got used to it, it seemed slightly louder. But I swear that after a week or two of driving its gotten louder (sort of broke in I guess). It could be all in my head, but I swear it's gotten slightly louder.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

hooker is very quiet, thats why I have a cutout.. so I can have quiet when I want and somewhat loud
Old 03-04-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah its quiet. Mine got a little louder. Once the cam went in, it sounds real nice. Its not quiet, but its not too too loud even with a good sized cam. I'm VERY happy with mine.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

like some of you I have the hooker cat back and a cut out
it does sound louder now compare to when I first got it
love the classy good sound that it has
Old 03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Launching!

I am running a Hooker catback currently. It will get louder over time. It will never be really loud though.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:25 AM
9 Second Club

I have a hooker to be quiet and a cut out to be loud
Old 03-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it is a quiet exhaust,i put an electriccutout on there tomakeit little louder
The following users liked this post:
rubenlee21 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

HOOKER'S are fairly QUIET.NOT much louder than stock at idle,and not all that much louder when you get on it IMO.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get some LT's and a ORY. That makes the Hooker come to life. I love my setup. Of course I do like to be loud every once in while so I'm putting in a McCord Cutout next week. Don't get me wrong though at WOT the Hooker is pretty loud behind LT's and a ORY.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

This is the reason why you do your research before you purchase mods. It would've shown you that Hooker = pretty quiet.

I'm not at all trying to be a dick, but far too many people have this type of thing. "I just put LTs and an ORY on my Loudmouth and now it's too unGodly loud! Why is this?" Just saying that you should do a bit of research and listening before you spend your very hard-earned money. This way you'll be happier with your purchases and know that you made the best decisions.

But yes, Hooker is a quieter catback. Not THE quietest, but it's quiet. Throw some LTs and ORY on there and you won't be saying that though. And no, it really won't get much louder like some catbacks will.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

hooker is the ideal catback for an header/ORY setup, It sounds really good with no rasp, almost perfect as a setup can sound IMO. Its a nice clean sound without a drone.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:38 AM
12 Second Club

I got a bullet muffler before my cut out and the Hooker exhaust, that **** is QUIET
Old 03-05-2006, 03:20 AM
10 Second Club

I have never had the Hooker with the stock manifolds and cats. I have had it on two diff cars with longtubes and an offroad Y though. I really think it is the perfect setup. Crusing isn't obnoxious, and you can ease around without drawing unwanted attention if needed. When you lay into the throttle though it wakes up in a big way. I love how it sounds when WOT....so crisp and clean, and DEFINATELY NOT quiet! Add a cam and it get's even better. No regrets with this setup, I have bought it twice for two diff cars so I obviously like it.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

lol, I just posted a thread looking for a quiet exhaust after a search. Then found this, thanks!
Old 03-05-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just put another cut out on. Thats what I did, when i bought my car it had stock exausht with a cut out. Then I went to the hooker catback then a few months later put a cut out on. It just was't loud enought around town for me but i love that i can close it up for a long trip. In 6th gear cruising at 70 I can't even hear the exausht.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

I've only used the Hooker and Flowmaster on LS1 Fbodies. The Hooker isn't much louder that stock idling but does make some noise when you're standing on it. Since I've put LT's on I think it's the perfect Catback, at least compared to the Flowmaster. Even with the LT's it doesn't have the annoying interior noises that the Flowmaster did. I am running a catted Y by the way.

Quick Reply: Just got a Hooker catback put on my LS1, very quiet! What went wrong?