Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

ford 400 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ford 400 heads?

Hi all, I'm taking apart an 80 ford pu with a 400 in it tomorrow. Gonna steal the heads for my car . Anything special about the job I should know. My guess is that I wont need my metrics but I'm not actually sure. I've got a friend with a blown head gasket I'm gonna help out. Looks real easy to get at, certainly a lot easier than an fbod. Well we're gonna do head gaskets and fire the pig up and see if it will run. Used to, I borrowed the thing 2 summers ago and it had torque so I'm hoping to fix it for him. If I cant it has a 9" with new 410's in it. Is that a worthy grab for my car or would I be better buying new ?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Banned

What no one heres ripped into a 1980 Ford f150 XLT before?
Next question then, what about the rear. Whats it worth? Ford 9 inch, how much would I have to sink into it to make it fit my car? Would it be cheaper to just buy a new one instead?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 9 inch might be too wide for your car. It should have 31 spline axles, and if it is a trac lock it is definitly worth having. I would love to have that carrier -if you don't want it. Let me know. As for the 400M, they are decent engines with canted valves like a BBC. I have never worked on one, but it should offer no problems to you. I suspect the rockers are the shim type. You will likely need those metrics for some bolts. Some of the head bolts might go into a water jacket so have some thread sealer standing-by. Put the dist. on #1 and the balancer on TDC before you begin. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

one headbolt was loose, wasnt even finger tight. Didnt get the other side off, was dodging the rain. Damn those pushrods are long.