Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Couldnt use Solid Pinion Sleeve...step inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couldnt use Solid Pinion Sleeve...step inside

I did my 4.10 gear install this morning. When I measured the crush sleeve that came out of the car, it measured .587". The directions of the solid pinion sleeve said to install the sleeve with a slightly larger length with the supplied shims. The solid sleeve measured .533". So I put on the .020", .015", .015', and .010" shims to give me a total of .593"...which is only .005" larger than the crush sleeve that came out of the car...I thought it would be perfect.

So I get the pinion tightened up to the recommended 125 ft/ibs tq spec...guess what, the pinion preload is too much. So I tear it apart and take off keep reducing the sleeve length in .005" increments...I did it about 3 times and it was still too tight. So I took all the shims out and installed JUST the solid sleeve, and it was STILL TOO TIGHT.

I ended up not even using the solid pinion sleeve because it was too much pinion preload....I just grabbed a new crush sleeve and did it the regular way...so much for the $17 I paid for the useless solid pinion sleeve.

Did anyone else have the problem?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your preload was too high you should have added shim(s), I've found the crush sleeves were usually over crushed and the nut just backed off to get the preload down, I'm on my fourth set of gears if rearends were'nt so much I'de just get a 12 bolt but at 150 bucks for gears and I have the tools simple economics wins out