Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

can't get tranny back on

Old 03-06-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't get tranny back on

I'm currently on the last portion of my clutch swap and I'm pretty much stuck. The flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch (used centering tool) are all correctly installed. I'm attempting to reinstall the tranny and for some reason it stops at about 1/2 inch from the bell housing and will not move any further forward. I can't figure out what the problem is. The slave appears to be correctly installed, but at the same time it might be holding things up since I'm not sure what to look for. The splines on the input shaft are also correctly lined up. Any help on this would be great because I'm stumped on this.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had mine apart 3 times. Each time it took a good amount of muscle and swearing to get it to go back together. There's not much to the slave install, if you think it's right, it probably is right. How are you supporting the trans, are you bringing it in level/square to the engine? I was under the car with the trans on a transjack, the front of the car was high, so I had to keep raising the jack as I moved forward. At some point I got it close enough to start the bolts and pull it the rest of the way on, just be carefull of stripping the threads if you aren't seated deep enough.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

It takes some time and patience. You have to make sure the splines line up correctly and that it is lined up perfectly. A few bolts with take some weight off your arms/jack. You just have to play with it untill you get it lined up perfectly, and then push it in.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have a trans jack, so I'm just using a floor jack as best I can. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to back the whole tranny out and down then make another attempt with better alignment. Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully I can get this done soon.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LoPeY
I don't have a trans jack, so I'm just using a floor jack as best I can. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to back the whole tranny out and down then make another attempt with better alignment. Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully I can get this done soon.

I just finished my clutch last night and i had the same problem. My problem ended up beeing my pilot bearing was on backwards. Another thing, make sure the aliment tool goes in and out easy with out having to push or pull on it.

Let me know if you need any other help.

-Miguel
Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Had the same problem with mine. Fought with it a few hours a day for two days. Then a friend came by and said just start the bolts and tighten them slightly in a criss cross pattern and it went straight in. As it turned out it had been lined up right the whole time I was just scared that the bellhousing would strip out. Best of luck I know how you must be feeling.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

I'll take a look at the pilot bearing as well as that might be the issue. As for the bolts, the tranny is just far enough away that I can't get any of the bolts threaded.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

just take your time and double even triple check everything! keep turning the tailshaft and pushing at the same time try putting the tranny in several different positions and it should eventually let you get a couple bolts in to start it.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Teching In

currently in the same situation, just to clarify, which way is the pilot bearing supposed to go in? when i bought it the guy at the dealership said the more closed end went out, which made sense as its slightly funnel shaped
Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Ditto

Originally Posted by agental73
currently in the same situation, just to clarify, which way is the pilot bearing supposed to go in? when i bought it the guy at the dealership said the more closed end went out, which made sense as its slightly funnel shaped
The piece I pulled out is a bushin, whereas the part I bought is a true roller bearing.
WHICH WAY TOWARDS THE MOTOR?
One end is 'open' and the other end is rounded off, closed, and blunt. HELP!! It's dark out, getting cold, and my car is in a million pieces!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Teching In

talked to a tech up at the local dealer and he seems to think the blunt closed end goes towards the motor, it only goes on the input shaft one way. mines already installed and halfway put back together but if you havent put it in yet then try it on the tranny input shaft and that'll tell you.

as for me / takin apart again tomorrow
Old 03-07-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

talked to a tech up at the local dealer and he seems to think the blunt closed end goes towards the motor, it only goes on the input shaft one way. mines already installed and halfway put back together but if you havent put it in yet then try it on the tranny input shaft and that'll tell you.

look at my other thread, seems to be the other way around
Old 03-08-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just did mine a couple days ago.... the closed end of the pilot bearing faces the rear of the car.

Have fun!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can't get tranny back on