JN films

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default JN films

check out the film we made...its called "retrieve" made it over spring break! we had a blast doing it. If you have time, watch "The Case" we filmed it a LOOOOOONG time ago...if you notice its all the same characters...only older lol...it kinda fits together "The Case" is part one and "Retrieve" is part two...so watch "The Case" first...ok ill stop talking now...enjoy

www.jnfilms.com

heres a screenshot

Old 03-07-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

no comments huh
Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched it ... a couple critical comments ...

Character development. It wasn't clear who the good guys were or the bad guys. Not sure who the guy was driving the Grand Prix. Too many characters without the audience having a way to identify each of them.

You tried by showing the guy driving the TA and the cop in the TB, but you used too much back light to distinguish unique facial features.

Also, all the characters were dressed too similarly.

And who was the innocent by-stander that got shot ... you know, the poor, token black guy? Be careful who you cast in what role. If you want a wide audience, you can't alienate a whole group of folks.

Ever notice in real movies how the good guys and bad guys are easily distinguished by obvious differences, either in wardrobe, age, hair style, something immediately obvious.

So there is this raging 3 way gun battle and folks are standing upright, trying to hide behind twigs and 30 feet away and noone gets a scratch.

Dude takes off running and gets nailed with a single shot from what appears hundreds of yards away.

And why was he running?

Use wide establishing shots in close quarters to keep the audience oriented as to who is where and doing what. Use the close cut shots to make the distances seem smaller than they are.

Production technique was good. Art direction was nice .. nice contrasting colors to help the audience see the actors "pop" from the back ground. Also, nice use of daylight to keep everything straight. Continuity in lighting is the first thing that audiences notice that something is wrong, but can't tell what it is. Nice detail.

Leaves strewn on the road to enhance the affect of speed. However, the camera should've been a little lower to help that illusion along.

I realize it was low budget and a short film. But, if you are gonna stick your neck out and ask, someone is gonna tell you how it is.

BTW ... I graduated 30 years ago with an art degree and have been in the RTF business since 1982.

You haven't edited till you've cut 16mm film ...
Premeire Pro can make anyone an editor ...
Old 03-07-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

it's cool, but one question why you have to randomly kill the black dude, that was hilarious 3 white guys and a random black guy riding a bike gets sniped.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I watched it ... a couple critical comments ...

Character development. It wasn't clear who the good guys were or the bad guys. Not sure who the guy was driving the Grand Prix. Too many characters without the audience having a way to identify each of them.

You tried by showing the guy driving the TA and the cop in the TB, but you used too much back light to distinguish unique facial features.

Also, all the characters were dressed too similarly.

And who was the innocent by-stander that got shot ... you know, the poor, token black guy? Be careful who you cast in what role. If you want a wide audience, you can't alienate a whole group of folks.

Ever notice in real movies how the good guys and bad guys are easily distinguished by obvious differences, either in wardrobe, age, hair style, something immediately obvious.

So there is this raging 3 way gun battle and folks are standing upright, trying to hide behind twigs and 30 feet away and noone gets a scratch.

Dude takes off running and gets nailed with a single shot from what appears hundreds of yards away.

And why was he running?

Use wide establishing shots in close quarters to keep the audience oriented as to who is where and doing what. Use the close cut shots to make the distances seem smaller than they are.

Production technique was good. Art direction was nice .. nice contrasting colors to help the audience see the actors "pop" from the back ground. Also, nice use of daylight to keep everything straight. Continuity in lighting is the first thing that audiences notice that something is wrong, but can't tell what it is. Nice detail.

Leaves strewn on the road to enhance the affect of speed. However, the camera should've been a little lower to help that illusion along.

I realize it was low budget and a short film. But, if you are gonna stick your neck out and ask, someone is gonna tell you how it is.

BTW ... I graduated 30 years ago with an art degree and have been in the RTF business since 1982.

You haven't edited till you've cut 16mm film ...
Premeire Pro can make anyone an editor ...
hi there... i just wanted to say thanks for the critique. i will take into consideration all of these things next time im doing a more serious project. As you can see we are merely children, basking in the presence of creativity...and having fun! Oh and 30 years ago...wow...didnt you have to, like... crank the camera back then...? just tellin you how it is
Old 03-13-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TUMBLRws6
Oh and 30 years ago...wow...didnt you have to, like... crank the camera back then...? just tellin you how it is
I've used a manual editor on 16mm film ...