Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Powerglide Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Powerglide Help Please

Looking for Tips on going to a powerglide.

I want to be able to Swap to the powerglide to race with, and daily drive with a T56

Basically I am asking what should i look for, Any gear ratios, certian upgrades?
I would like to have a small stall and a trans-brake also and how much it would cost to do this, correctly.

The car wieghs 3200lbs 12 bolt with 4.11's and there is no torque arm

I would also love imput from peple that have done or are currently doing this
Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man you must love swaping trannys!

do a search under powerglide and next - that will give you plenty of info. i did the seatrch not long ago. unless you are PURELY doing bracket racing,. a small stall powerglide is a horrible idea.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I honestly can't understand why anyone would ever want a powerglide. Its only got 2 gears!! I mean unless you're pushing 1,500HP and go through the gears amost instantly, having a 2 speed auto is nothing but a handicap. Consistant, yes, fast?? NO.

Think about how slow a stock LS1 would be with a 2-speed compared to a T56. It would go from running low 13's in the 1/4 to running mid 14's, just because of the transmission. I can't see how thats any benefit.

If you want an automatic for consistant times, go with something like a built 4L60E. At least it won't make you car slow as molasses.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

WESMANW02, you couldnt be more wrong about your post. sorry. with the proper combination a powerglide will HAUL and DESTROY a t56 car. big gear, big converter, and the right tune and she will move out.

go talk to eric aka "next" about his 9.7 @ 132 stock bottom end ls1 camaro with a powerglide. same care went 9.1 @ 149 with a mild 408 on a big nitrous shot.

the key is enough converter and gearing. weight and tq are less of an issue. a 4800 stall and a 4.11/28" tire is about perfect.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
WESMANW02, you couldnt be more wrong about your post. sorry. with the proper combination a powerglide will HAUL and DESTROY a t56 car. big gear, big converter, and the right tune and she will move out.

go talk to eric aka "next" about his 9.7 @ 132 stock bottom end ls1 camaro with a powerglide. same care went 9.1 @ 149 with a mild 408 on a big nitrous shot.

the key is enough converter and gearing. weight and tq are less of an issue. a 4800 stall and a 4.11/28" tire is about perfect.
Well on a stock car the powerglide would slow the LS1 down in the 1/4 mile by over a full second. No questions asked, laws of physics come in to play there, the RPM's can only go up so fast when you got a freakin 2 speed.

However, I can see how it could be made fast when you start modifying other components, such as the torque converter, rear end ratios, and adding drag slicks. I suppose with low (4.11) rear end ratios, slicks, and a high stall converter, you can really come off the line fast. After that point, I suppose the coverter keeps the engine on the boil and prevents it from bogging on the 1-2 shift. Interesting, but a completely impractical street car. My post was referring to using the car on the street, hence the reason I think you took it out of context.

One question though: In making a track-only automatic drag car, why would you want to go with a 2-speed powerglide over a built TH350?? Wouldn't the extra gear ratio be at least somewhat beneficial in the 1/4 mile?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Well on a stock car the powerglide would slow the LS1 down in the 1/4 mile by over a full second. No questions asked, laws of physics come in to play there, the RPM's can only go up so fast when you got a freakin 2 speed.

However, I can see how it could be made fast when you start modifying other components, such as the torque converter, rear end ratios, and adding drag slicks. I suppose with low (4.11) rear end ratios, slicks, and a high stall converter, you can really come off the line fast. After that point, I suppose the coverter keeps the engine on the boil and prevents it from bogging on the 1-2 shift. Interesting, but a completely impractical street car. My post was referring to using the car on the street, hence the reason I think you took it out of context.

One question though: In making a track-only automatic drag car, why would you want to go with a 2-speed powerglide over a built TH350?? Wouldn't the extra gear ratio be at least somewhat beneficial in the 1/4 mile?
Well hopefully a PG isn't his first mod on whichever car he's putting it in
Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

Some cubes, Cam, Fast90/90, Ported heads, 12 bolt(4.11), full BMR suspension,

I love NEXT's car.... I have 10 videos of it, i didnt know it was a PG though... I dont mind swapping trannys either, i wont go to the track alot, and the car isnt my daily driver... just the fact that it can be
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

As far as ratio most guys go with a 1.80 which is a straight cut set that is probably the strongest set around. Your kinda heavier to be any higher ratio than that, most people will want to talk you into a helical set which is fine, but the problem is when buzz the motor really high the ring gear has a tendency to thrust away from the gear set into the reverse pressure plate causing stuff in the pan and a bind feel. i would also recomend a Dedenbear case, somewhat expensive but it has a built in scatter shield and blanket, and it has all the bolt holes so you can use all the bolts for a LS-1

Last edited by back4more; 03-08-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

wesman, you are putting way too much emphasis on the "missing" second gear. the big issue is the lazy first/low gear multiplier. if you run the right converter, right gearing, and any sticky tire (drag radials work PERFECT with a 1.76/1.80 low gear), the car will haul ***. yes the converter takes out any bog and keeps y ou in the powerband. its esential and b/c of wrong converter choices the PG has been given a bad name. put a 3800-4000 converter and she falls on her face. put a 4800-5000 stall and she screams and will outrun, esp on the big end. a TH combo. the 1.80 first gear makes or breaks the PG. it also doubles the price of the tranny.

as for streetability, no doubt its not friendly. they drive, just not as nice as a 3 speed. remember LOTS of cars had 2 speeds OEM. on the highway its NO different than a TH series combo.

for a stock car this is a non issue. nobody puts a PG in a stock ls1 lol
Old 03-08-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

benefits to a PG are easy.

extremely low drivetran loss (similar to a t56)
big trap speed
weighs nothing
hammer out of the hole and hook every time
1K dollars builds you a tranny strong enough to hold a 9 second car easily. probably more depending on weight.

"Next" went 9.7 @ 132 on a sick 1.32 60' with 520 rwhp (sprayed to get that number) in his PG car.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Launching!

i have a couple Pglides sitting around. What all would i need to swap my M6- Pglide.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

i just bought a glide and am ditching my th400 setup in favor of it for my car. ~800rwhp nitrous car, 3.89s, 4800chance stall, 28x10.5s
Old 07-13-2006, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
benefits to a PG are easy.

extremely low drivetran loss (similar to a t56)
big trap speed
weighs nothing
hammer out of the hole and hook every time
1K dollars builds you a tranny strong enough to hold a 9 second car easily. probably more depending on weight.
another benefit would be the fact that they only shift once, one shift is more consistant than 2, especially if your shifting manually with out electronics. ofcourse thats only for bracket racing.

If you get a converter with enough stall to keep the engine in its power band, and with the right gears, a powerglide could hoe a t-56.

Quick Reply: Need Some Powerglide Help Please