Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Trying to determine what rear to go with

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to determine what rear to go with

I've been reading up some, since a new rear will be my next mod, but the more I read, the more questions I have. Before I started reading, I had pretty much been set on a 12 bolt, since that seems to be the standard replacement for the 10 bolt. However, I've heard from a few people that while the 12 bolt is stronger, it still might not hold up to a high-powered M6 car coming off the line at a higher rpm, with slicks. So, I started reading around more, and saw the D60 idea. From my experience with 4x4s, the D60 is one hell of an axle, and can be built VERY tough. Until I saw that Strange was working on one that fit, I had though the differential would have been too large. I also checked up on Ford 9" rears, and it seems like they're almost more trouble than they're worth, what with having to "modify" so-called bolt-in assemblies in order to work. So, I'm at a bit of a dilemma. Plans are for the car to be making at least 450rwhp N/A, undecided on nitrous yet. Also might drop a 408 in, down the line, so I'd like the rear axle to be stout enough to handle it. based on what I've read, the 12 bolt works but can be broken, the 9" is pretty tough but requires a good bit of work to fit, and the D60 is still up in the air, as far as real-world experience and reliability.

I'm leaning towards the D60 at the moment, since I know in other applications it's a proven axle, but some opinions from the guys who have been there and done that with axles would help a lot.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:40 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't modify anything to make my 9" work. It bolted right in. I didn't have to do anything to "make it fit". Just needed the conversion u-joint. They'll all need one of them though.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We have not encountered any problems installing Moser 9 inch rears in any cars at our shop. One recent customer that I sent a Moser 9 inch to had problems with the torque arm mount, and I suspect the mount was made wrong. That is the only one that I know of who has had problems with them. Bob
Old 03-07-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like every time I read about the 9" install on a lowered car, the torque arm mount hits the floor board. Sounds like a problem to me if you have to beat on your car with a hammer to make something "fit". Kind of like a square peg into a round hole.

Stock springs & stock torque arm it will probably fit. If you want to lower your car, it can be made to "fit".
Old 03-07-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hm, from what I had read, it seemed like a lot had to be done to a 9" to work - grinding areas for lines and cables, fabbing new torque arms and such to fit. Since the car isn't going to be lowered, it sounds like it would work - won't be stock springs or suspension at all, but I don't want it any lower than it'll sit with that stuff.

Does the 9" work with TCS cars? I wouldn't really mind losing TCS, as it's always off anyway, but I don't know what would be involved in deleting it, if necessary.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I used the factory torque arm. Didn't have to do anything to any lines or hoses. I didn't reuse the tcs. You really don't "have" to do anything to eliminate it. Just order your new rear without it. The tcs light will stay on but I took the bulb out of the dash so it don't stay on anymore. I also eliminated the abs. If you want to do this it will take a little more work. The abs light also stays on after this. So it got removed also. Also, removing the abs and tcs' you can save a little weight if it matters to you. Where are you at in WV?

Last edited by blue01ta; 03-07-2006 at 07:10 PM.