Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

how to upgrade rear end gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear End

All right here is my delima. I have an A4 with 2:73's. I want some 3:73's, but this is the only part on any type of vehicle that I've never had my hands into. What do I need to do to get some 3:73's back there? It's a 99 TA. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, buy a good set of gears. Motive 3.73's or something. Get the installation kit, some come with a video for those with no experience. I am sure someone knows of a link to a "how to" for this. Once you get started it's really not that hard. It would help to have a shop press available for removal and installation of the bearings. Don't forget the GM limitied slip additive.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My 'bird had 2.73 gears in it, and I had them swapped for 3.73 gears about a year ago. You'll have to do one of two things in order for this swap to begin....buy "thick" gears and keep your 2-series carrier, or buy a 3-series carrier along with regular 3.73 gears. I found a gently used 3-series carrier on ebay, and then went with the regular 3.73 gears. My gears are Motive gears, and I've not had any problems with them. No noise at all.

I'd also recommend getting a rebuild kit too with all the necessary bearings, shims, etc. I know that SLP sells a rebuild kit as that is the one I purchased.

While you're at it, I'd also recommend getting diff girdle. Summit Racing sells a diff girdle for our cars, and T/A Performance diff girdles also come to mind. I bought my T/A Performance diff girdle through Thunder Racing. There's comes with the Thunder Racing logo rather than the T/A Performance logo.

After the gear install, you'll need to have the trans shift points and the speedo recalibrated. You can do an ok job of it with a handheld tuner such as a Hypertech Programmer, but you're better off finding a shop to tune the car afterwards.