Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch is too light

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch is too light

It has been this way since I've had the Z06 clutch along with the updated slave cylinder. Pedal feel varies somewhat, but it never gets sticky and acts like it's going to stick to the floor, so no problems there. Does the drill mod stiffen up the pedal feel any? I'm getting really ticked off how light and spongy the clutch is, as it's hard to get a feel for it, and my foot actually slips off the pedal on occassion. I'm getting a rebuilt trans pretty soon, and plan to change the clutch to a Ram Powergrip while I'm at it.

Is there any way to get a heavier feel like switching to LT1 hydraulics? I like how my friend's LT1 clutch is. It's pretty heavy like a Mustang, but I like how you can actually feel it and it doesn't feel like you're about to push the pedal through the carpet when shifting. Any ideas are appreciated since there is no cable or non-hydraulic setup out there for our cars.

Jason
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is this the LS7 clutch your referring to?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What you've described sounds like mine when it has just a bit of air in the system. When I bleed mine, the last three times I release pressure I do it very quickly--just a quick flick to one side and back. Any other way manualy and I can't get all of the air out and it feels just like you describe.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
is this the LS7 clutch your referring to?
Nope. C5 Z06

Jason
Old 03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
What you've described sounds like mine when it has just a bit of air in the system. When I bleed mine, the last three times I release pressure I do it very quickly--just a quick flick to one side and back. Any other way manualy and I can't get all of the air out and it feels just like you describe.
How do you go about bleeding these things? I've heard some people use mitivacs?

Jason
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=320133

Although my RAM made my pedal MUCH stiffer than the factory LS6-er...
Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
Does the drill mod stiffen up the pedal feel any?
I didn't notice any difference in the pressure when I drilled my slave line out. It only made the clutch feel like it was moving in sync with the pedal rather than a zero temperature sluggish reaction. If you want to bleed the system, now is a good time to do the drill mod. You will have effectively bled (and cleaned) the slave cylinder and line when you are finished.

I wonder if the clutch springs have lost their temper. If you're not getting any slip then I would think there's no harm and you'll get used to it. If it is so loose that a big road jolt moves the pedal then it's a problem.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
I wonder if the clutch springs have lost their temper. If you're not getting any slip then I would think there's no harm and you'll get used to it. If it is so loose that a big road jolt moves the pedal then it's a problem.
You're referring to something different. What I meant was my foot is slipping off the pedal partly because I don't have to put much pressure on it to engage the clutch. What you're describing I don't have.

Jason