LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Optispark to coil on plug conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT1 Optispark to coil on plug conversion?

I'm trying to help a friend out of a bind. He just bought a 94 Z and it runs like crap (no SES light though), I told him this may be the Optispark giving him trouble but I'm no LT1 guru thats where you guys come in Anyway the previous owner of the car told him that he had already spent 500.00 on parts and labor th have the opti spark changed not too long before my buddie bought the car. The car especially runs bad @ WOT. I thought I read a while back in GMHTP magazine where you could convert from the optispark unit to coil on plug using 2 4cyl coils from a salvage yard. I'm sure its just not that easy but I wanted to get him pointed in the right direction. TIA

Hummer
Old 03-08-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do some searching on the web for LTCC or Delteq set-ups. Both have their ups and downs, but both are better than the cap/rotor on the opti. Your friend will still have to keep the opti in for the optical signal, but it should last a lot longer without the spark running through there.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow96z
Do some searching on the web for LTCC or Delteq set-ups. Both have their ups and downs, but both are better than the cap/rotor on the opti. Your friend will still have to keep the opti in for the optical signal, but it should last a lot longer without the spark running through there.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: LT1 Optispark to coil on plug conversion?