Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My list of observations/questions on my VTEC dd! lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My list of observations/questions on my VTEC dd! lol

Hi, i recently bought a 1996 honda accord EX V6 with 120K miles on it as my dd. Automatic. It is a 2.7L 24V V6 VTEC. The owner got the engine detailed very well before i bought the car so it was hard to find problems/leaks.

Few questions.
1. how do i know if the timing belt has been replaced? by looking? what to look for?

2. the engine makes a ticking sound heard from above i believe it is the loud injectors?

3. what is the correct idle at full operating temp in gear? Im at 450-500

4. i noticed that sometimes i open the oil cap on the valve cover and see steam/smoke in there. It is not there while the engine is running bc the PCV valve is prolly sucking it back into the intake via vacum. but when i turn off the car and open the cap i see the smoke just dwelling bc there is no vacum.

5. do these engines burn oil?

6. what oil is best for this high mileage VTEC V6? what weight?

7. what are the common problems with this year/type of car? engine and trans problems?

8. where are common leak points

9. how hot do these engines run? my needle stays at under half tick always

10. how much HP does it make to the FRONT(lol ) wheels? i read 200hp at the fly so like 170?

11. The car drips no fluids but I went under the car and saw a lot of burnt oil on and around the oil pan and seal from transmission to engine?

12. While the engine was running i went under the car and heard a slight tapping coming from the block it seemed. almost like a piston slap? are these 2.7L 24V V6's all aluminum? are they known to have slap/make noise?

13. what temp does the fan/fans come on stock? also what degree is the stock thermostat?

Now i didnt want to scare you guys off and have you say "jeez why did you buy it" because the car runs very strong and smooth for 120K and you could literally eat off the top side of the engine. i just knitpick every little thing i hear or see and like to learn about different things/engines.

Im sure there are more questions i have but cannot think of any right now. Thankyou very much for all of your replies
Old 03-08-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm...You just may be on the wrong site
Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Teching In

just get some nos stickers, a 6 inch muffler and youll fit right in.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was under this exact model today. problems on it were leaking ps pump and leaking axle seal. common problem areas are for sure the vtec solenoid which often leaks. easy way to tell if the timing belt has been changed is to look at the color of the water pump. if its a different color, usually lighter, then it most likely has been changed. hondas also use a lot of solid rollers so valve lash has to be adjusted as needed. i dont know the particulars on this car since we mostly see late models and the few early model accords i work on are 4 cyl
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Flamingchicken--thankyou. where is the vtec solenoid located that is a common leak point? also i havent really looked around the engine so where is the waterpump located as well? im pretty sure the pump and timing belt were replaced at 90K but that is just hear say from the owner who said the owner before him did it so . everything is so damn clean though it looks like everything is new. i mean the spark wires look like they are brand new as well as the timing belt cover
Old 03-09-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

Few questions.
1. how do i know if the timing belt has been replaced? by looking? what to look for? Changing the belt is not that hard or expensive. If you are not sure, then do it yourself. Most likely the owner hasnt changed it. Honda timing belts last notoriously long.

2. the engine makes a ticking sound heard from above i believe it is the loud injectors? Loud injectors, but could also be valve noise. According to the dealer when i had my TL, he said i needed a "valve adjustment." He said lifter noise is normal on Honda motors.

3. what is the correct idle at full operating temp in gear? Im at 450-500
Should be between 5-700

4. i noticed that sometimes i open the oil cap on the valve cover and see steam/smoke in there. It is not there while the engine is running bc the PCV valve is prolly sucking it back into the intake via vacum. but when i turn off the car and open the cap i see the smoke just dwelling bc there is no vacum.
could be a seal

5. do these engines burn oil?
yes and no. Yes, if it has been beaten on and uncared for. No if it was babied. Either way, you have high miles, expect it to eat a little oil every now and then.

6. what oil is best for this high mileage VTEC V6? what weight? 5w30 is what i believ the dealer reccomends. I'd go 10w30

7. what are the common problems with this year/type of car? engine and trans problems? as long as it was taken care of, you can get another 100k outta it.

8. where are common leak points
rear main seal.

9. how hot do these engines run? my needle stays at under half tick always
the temp gauge is basically a dummy gauge that will only tell you when you are overheating. Other than that it will always stay a little under middle or at middle in the summer.

10. how much HP does it make to the FRONT(lol ) wheels? i read 200hp at the fly so like 170? Less. My 225 horse TL made 185.

11. The car drips no fluids but I went under the car and saw a lot of burnt oil on and around the oil pan and seal from transmission to engine?
Yup, main seal is usually the first thing needing replacement.

12. While the engine was running i went under the car and heard a slight tapping coming from the block it seemed. almost like a piston slap? are these 2.7L 24V V6's all aluminum? are they known to have slap/make noise?
lifter noise is common, but may be something else depending on how abused the engine is.

13. what temp does the fan/fans come on stock? also what degree is the stock thermostat? dont know

Now i didnt want to scare you guys off and have you say "jeez why did you buy it" because the car runs very strong and smooth for 120K and you could literally eat off the top side of the engine. i just knitpick every little thing i hear or see and like to learn about different things/engines.

Im sure there are more questions i have but cannot think of any right now. Thankyou very much for all of your replies
Old 03-09-2006, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

thanks bigman. how worried should i be about the rear main seal? it does not drip on the floor