Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mecham hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mecham hoods?

Hey everyone, I know that the quality of Mecham hoods aren't the best but I was just wondering for you guys that have them, what all had to be redone to make the hood right? My best friend just got an '02 TA and really wants a Mecham hood for it but I told him the quailty on them really sucks but that I'd do some research for him and find out what all has to be done to make them right.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

It seems to differ for each one. In general, a lot of sanding, usually some fiberglass repair, and, almost always, fixing of stress cracks in a couple of years no matter how good your prep work was.

I ended up paying more for prep work than I did for the hood itself (on my previous car).
Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Man, they sound nice . So fiberglass repair as in the fiberglass is broken off or cracked? Stress fractures, what quality! I told him they were junk but he really wants to get one to work so I don't know. Are they really worth attempting?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:07 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely will need fiberglass work, lots of sanding and all other prep associated with body work. And like Shane said, no matter how good you prep it, it WILL need repair work within a year or so. I'm about to have mine totally redone. I am going to try and reinforce it some more on the underside by means of fiberglass or carbon fiber for some added strength and rigidity. I have a feeling tho no matter how well I think I have it, it will start to develop stress cracks eventually again down the road. Just hope to delay them for a little longer this time around.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Man that sucks, they look cool but that seems like a lot problems. I'm just gonna give him the info and let him decide. Anymore info is still appreciated.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Normally crap quality.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

They just seem to be really flimsy. I loved the look of the hood, but I *sure* don't miss cringing every time I had to close the hood...
*shrug*
Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

Everything said in this thread holds true and the sad thing is Mecham won't try to improve the design any
Old 03-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Happy Friday!!! Time to bash Mecham! Show your friend these pictures of my old hood. But tell him to wait!! Soon, the hood will be redesigned and remolded the right way by a certain manufacturer on this site! I know this because I am the one who sent him my old Mecham hood to redo. I can't wait for it to be complete. It was a great looking hood from far away, but up close...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/518658/2
Nothing but an embarrassment, even had a guy in a truck on the road tell me nice ride, but asked what's up with the hood. That was the moment I decided to do something about it. I take pride in the ruining of a fraud and ruining the fraud with his own product!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Cool, so a sponsor is going to have a Mecham designed hood of their own? The quality on that hood looks like ****. Did you ever get it lined out or are you still having problems with it?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Launching!

No more problems for me, that hood is now in the hands of a PROFESSIONAL. In the meantime, I have a great looking ram air on my car. It's nice out today, I think I will give it a good waxing.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

How much have you spent on getting it all correct? What all is he doing to it?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by matt6822
Happy Friday!!! Time to bash Mecham! Show your friend these pictures of my old hood. But tell him to wait!! Soon, the hood will be redesigned and remolded the right way by a certain manufacturer on this site! I know this because I am the one who sent him my old Mecham hood to redo. I can't wait for it to be complete. It was a great looking hood from far away, but up close...
Nothing but an embarrassment, even had a guy in a truck on the road tell me nice ride, but asked what's up with the hood. That was the moment I decided to do something about it. I take pride in the ruining of a fraud and ruining the fraud with his own product!
Ouch. I was considering taking a chance with this hood, despite all the negative feedback Ive read about it, but I never actually seen pics of the problem until now. Will this manufacturer mast produce a knock off exactor hood or will you ben the only guy with a sturdy mecham hood?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Yes he will mass produce it. I have spoken with him recently, and right now he tells me it is slow going. I was hoping it might be out by springtime but it looks like it won't. I want to get the new version of this hood and some Vizage side skirts, but those aren't ready either! If you know who I am talking about, please don't overload him with emails, I can't hardly wait myself, but patience...soon...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:59 AM

It'd be awesome if they could incorporate the front of their knock off mecham design with the same snout as the raptor hood has. That would be the ultimate firebird hood! I'd have to buy one if they did
Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 AM

Hey man, before you go bashing Mecham, is your hood even from mecham?? I think you have a knock off as it is already. Look at the front of your hood at the snout:

Now compare that to the hood I got off of a wrecked mecham:

They are definately different. Yours actually raises up a lot there in the front. Mine has nowhere near the rise yours does... I wonder if they just made different versions or if you have a knock off
Old 03-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Yes they made an "improvement" (pause for laughter) to their design. It was out about 2 months or so before I got suckered into thinking maybe I'd get the hood that had few problems, but the pics speak for themselves. I will say their newer version is a lot better looking and more aggressive that their first, but how the hell do you go make a new mold for a hood and not look into the quality issue? This Mecham is a jackass and a half!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Yes he will mass produce it. I have spoken with him recently, and right now he tells me it is slow going. I was hoping it might be out by springtime but it looks like it won't. I want to get the new version of this hood and some Vizage side skirts, but those aren't ready either! If you know who I am talking about, please don't overload him with emails, I can't hardly wait myself, but patience...soon...
What do you think is the estimated time of arrival for this hood? Im looking into getting a Mecham but i rather wait for the new and improved one.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I don't know right now, but whatever you do, DO NOT order from Mecham! And also DO NOT order from Mecham! Patience...I want it yesterday but I will wait for a good thing. You'll just be pissing away a lot of money if you go with that shitbag!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:00 AM

Yes they made an "improvement" (pause for laughter) to their design. It was out about 2 months or so before I got suckered into thinking maybe I'd get the hood that had few problems, but the pics speak for themselves. I will say their newer version is a lot better looking and more aggressive that their first, but how the hell do you go make a new mold for a hood and not look into the quality issue? This Mecham is a jackass and a half!
Ahh, okay. Wasn't aware of that. Yeah, I agree- Mecham really has some issues that need resolving. Sucks they wouldn't do it with the redesign. Had I not got my hood for such a good price, no way would I have even considered it.