LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Newb question about PRs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb question about PRs

I just received my heads and cam and was informed I had to measure and advise as to what length I need. I searched and found some info on ls1s and assume most is the same. Question is do I have to install the new heads and cam then measure PR length or is there a way to mock everything on the bench? Also, there was a crack in one of the exhaust ports running crooked up the valve stem, or where the stem is exposed in the port. The crack is deep enough to hang your nail on and you can definitely see it. Does this sound bad? I won't be able to talk to the porter till tomorrow so I was hoping somebody had input before I talked to him.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Banned

yes that is VERY VERY VERY bad....get that fixed before you even think about the pushrods...very bad
Old 03-09-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransAm6383
yes that is VERY VERY VERY bad....get that fixed before you even think about the pushrods...very bad
I agree with TransAm6383 if it is a crack you need to get it fixed.

Who did your porting?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a reputable company but so far have been very nice and had quick responses to everything. I dont want to post their name but definitely make sure you check your heads before you put them on. Now about the original question, after i get the crack problem worked out do you have to have the heads and cam installed to get the correct pushrod length or is there a way to calculate or mock up everything without having to actually install the parts. I have to work in my parents garage since I dont have one where I live and they dont like my car on jack stands any longer than necessary.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should measure your pushrods with heads and cam installed.