Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers without catback possible/worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers without catback possible/worth it?

I have been thinking about getting headers for my car, but I can't get catback for it just yet. I was wondering if its possible to get shorty headers that wont require a new y-pipe and if they will do anything at all without getting the rest of the exhaust?? Eventually I will be getting the new y-pipe with hi-flow cats and a cat back but for now this is my only option.

Thanks
-Scott
Old 03-09-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW if your car is an 01/02 the shorties won't be worth the trouble to install. Hold off until you get the cash to at least do LTs/Y pipe (if you aren't in California of course)
If you don't want to (or can't afford to) get rid of the stock catback, after teh header install, you can always get a cutout, that way you can have it loud when you want, and quiet when you want
Old 03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned

don't get shorties... this guy is right. unless you are in cali... just save for either mac midlengths, or budget long-tubes like pacesetter and flowtech.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:02 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
FWIW if your car is an 01/02 the shorties won't be worth the trouble to install. Hold off until you get the cash to at least do LTs/Y pipe (if you aren't in California of course)
If you don't want to (or can't afford to) get rid of the stock catback, after teh header install, you can always get a cutout, that way you can have it loud when you want, and quiet when you want
Old 03-09-2006, 06:06 PM

If cost is an issue get Pacesetter long tube headers and an off road Y-pipe. FWIW, a lot of people run a stock Cat-Back with longtubes, to eliminate noise.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

I currently run long tubes and a y pipe with no cat back im getting cut outs put in this season and dont ever plan on getting a cat back. However if you are in callifornia or for some reason and cant get long tubes i would not bother with shorties i would get a cat back or some other modes insted of the shorties.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

When I get some Pacesetters and ORY, I'm going to just leave the stock catback until I put TD's on it.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the replys guys. So I guess I should get long tubes? The only thing is that its $700 for the longtube/catted y-pipe from pacesetter and I cant throw down that kind of money. Any options as to what I can get? The headers themselves arent very expensive, its the y-pipe that kills it...

Also, this will all bolt straight up to my stock catback right?

Thanks
-Scott
Old 03-09-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well what you could do is get the parts a piece at a time, get the LTs, then save for the catted Y, then get that, then get the o2 sims, the o2 sensors, new GM gaskets, plugs and wires.
That way you have the time to research how to do it, the likely problems you'll encounter, and be able to get the tools and equipment all lined up, so when you finally get to put them in, you'll know what to do and what not to do
Old 03-10-2006, 06:48 AM
12 Second Club

I have all the tools to do the job and I know how to do headers so that shouldnt be a problem. The only thing is that the headers/y-pipe cost $700...

Also, what type of gains will I see with LT's/Hi-flow y-pipe/stock catback?

Thanks
-Scott