Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

People using Zaino with Porter Cable...step in please

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People using Zaino with Porter Cable...step in please

I've been using Zaino products for about two years now. My usuall process for my '69 Z28 is as follows:

1. Clay the car using Z18
2. Then apply Z5 after Z1
3. Next apply Z2 after Z1
4. Finally finish with Z6 (or Z8 before a show)

So far I have been more than happy with the Zaino products. I just got back from an indoor carshow where my '69 Z28 was parked next to a freshly painted '68 SS and it made me realize that my paint has really gone downhill despite all the work I put into detailling it. But I now i'm going to take it to the next level and purchase a Porter Cable 7424. I'm probably going to purchase a kit that comes with the buffer, flexible backing plate, and Lake Country Orange, White and Grey pads. Now as for the polishes, I've heard some very good things about the Klasse All-in-One and will more than likely try it out (I will also try Z-PC). And for the sealants, I will keep using a combination of Z5 and Z2.

Here is my new process:

1. Clay the car using Z18
2. Apply Klasse AIO (or Z-PC) using orange pad
3. Next apply Z5 using white pad *
4. Then apply Z2 using white pad
5. Burn in the the sealants using grey pad **
5. Finish up with Z6 or Z8

*Should I even use the Z5? I've been using it just because I have some left over.
**Is this necessary? Or should I just finish by hand using a MF?

I've also heard of some people using 50/50 water and alcohol. Why? Do I need to?

Please, critique my process or make some suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

PS: The car has been done for about 4 years now and has only been washed once since it was painted (it is rarely, rarely driven ). Would a good ol' fashion washing do it any goog?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

bump
Old 03-11-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Junkie

The key to remember here is that Z5 and Z2 are sealants. Applying them with a polisher like the PC 7424 really doesn't gain you anything vs. applying them by hand. If anything, I've found I end up wasting more Zaino when I apply it with a machine.

I do a full detail about once every six months. Here is my usual detailing approach:

1) Wash - Lamb's wool mitt with two buckets. One bucket has soapy water (please use a car wash concentrate) and one with clean water. Dip mitt into soapy water, wipe section of car, clean mitt in clear water, repeat. The loose dirt will settle to the bottom of the clean water bucket, instead of getting recycled into your soapy water/mitt. Rinse thoroughly and often with a strong current of water. I usually do a final rinse without a nozzle at all, to help keep spots to a minimum.
2) Clay - I have yet to find one claybar that works any better than the others. They all work about the same. I typically use Clay Magic because I can get it at Autozone/O'Reillys. Use lots of the lubricant that comes with it, or soapy water in a spray bottle.
3) Wash - Same as above. This will get rid of any clay residue. If your find yourself having to work hard to remove any residue, you didn't use enough lubricant. Re-clay these spots with more lubricant, then try to wash them again.
4) Dry - 99% of the swirl marks I see come from drying. I use two large waffle weave towels and some quick detailing spray. Fold the towels in half, then in half again. Spray the area you're about to dry with the QD, then run the towel over it. Remember, the towel should wick the water away from the surface, so you shouldn't have to rub very hard at all. Turn the towel over and re-fold it often. When it gets too wet, grab another one and throw the first one in the dryer. If you did steps 1-3 right, the towels should be pretty clean when you're done drying.
5) High cut polish - Orange pad with Menzerna Intensive Polish. Polisher set on 5. Sray the pad with two "spritzes" of water from a squirt bottle. Work in 2' x 2' areas, working the polish in until it is almost clear (just before it starts throwing white dust everywhere). I kind of see this step as optional. If you keep up with your paint, you shouldn't have to do this every time you do a full detail. I'm at the point now with my paint where I only do this on spots where I see swirls.
6) Wipe down - Using a clean microfiber towel and a spray bottle, wipe off the excess polish. I sometimes do a 50/50 mix of water an alcohol here, just to make sure I get everything. The point of alcohol is to cut through any fillers in the polish, but since Menzerna IP doesn't have fillers, it's not totally necessary. IT does tend to make it easier to remove, though.
7) High gloss polish - Menzerna Final Polish II with a white pad. Same procedure as step 5.
8) Wipe down - Same as step 6, but DO NOT use alcohol this time. The fillers in FP2 are helpful at this point.
9) Glaze - Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze with a black bad. Polisher set on 3. Same basic procedure, but glaze goes a lot farther than polish, and splatters more (hence the lower speed). OMIT THIS STEP IF YOU ARE USING Z5/Z2.
10) Wipe down - Clean, dry microfiber cloth.
11) Seal - Menzerna FMJ or Blackfire. Put some quick detailing spray on a microfiber applicator and let it set for about 30 seconds, then apply a quarter-sized amount of sealant. The QD spray helps keep the sealant on the car and out of the applicator. Apply a thin, even coat.
12) Wipe down - Clean, dry microfiber cloth
13) Quick detail spray - Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic spray or Blackfire Quick Detail.

Repeat steps 11-13 as desired.

When I use Zaino, I modify my procedure like this:
Steps 1-8 are the same
9) Zaino Z5 with ZFX added - Apply by hand with a microfiber applicator. I still do the QD spray on the applicator trick. Z5 has some nice fillers and brings out good depth on dark cars.
10) Wipe down - Clean, dry microfiber cloth.
11) Z6 spray
12) Wipe down - Clean, dry microfiber cloth.
13) Z2 - Apply same as step 9
14) Z6 spray
15) Wipe down - Clean, dry microfiber cloth.

Repeat steps 9-15 as desired, but don't use the ZFX after the first step.

So, in a nutshell, you're going to get the best results from Zaino (or any sealant) if your paint is properly prepped. Like I always say: Polish out the imperfections, then seal in your work. I find Zaino has great durability and excellent shine. I'll likely go back to it once I use up my FMJ.

For step by step results of what this all look like:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/358966-full-menzerna-pics-56k-begone.html

Have fun!

-Mike
Old 05-25-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a pc that changes everything! You have many many many options outside of zaino then... Chup good write up, where did you learn to use a porter? They sure are fun.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First thing I thought of too when I read the first post, ..., No need for the PC with Zaino Z5. Do it by hand AFTER the PC with the Z-PC!

Good write-up Chup, ...
Old 05-26-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

chupr when are you going to teach class on this stuff?

Quick Reply: People using Zaino with Porter Cable...step in please