Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Swapping from A4 to M6

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Swapping from A4 to M6

Hey, a little bit down the road ill be interested in swapping out my A4 for a T-56. Now.... i want this T-56 to be able to hold about 800 rwhp all day..... What all should i get as far as parts to complete this swap and handle that power?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-10-2006, 06:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

anyone?

Old 03-10-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be tough with the T-56. It is not really rwhp that kills the tranny it is more the missed shifts and clutch dumps that hurt it. I would say you are looking at all viper internals. Very Very strong bearings. I wouldn't even want to try and make a t-56 hold that much power. Im not sure what to recommend for 800 rwhp for a 6 speed. I have seen them take alot of abuse but man 800 hp will just tear the internals right out of the tranny.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok well this will be in a street driven only car so it wont ever see the track so therefore no hard launches or clutch dumps and will be mostly around 600 hp, but i would like it to handle 750 ish when needed. Most of the power will be kicked in from a roll.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

I remember seeing a post from T56rebuilds.com that he could build a transmission to handle high numbers like that. I think he is a sponsor here too
Old 03-12-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superman09
Hey, a little bit down the road ill be interested in swapping out my A4 for a T-56. Now.... i want this T-56 to be able to hold about 800 rwhp all day..... What all should i get as far as parts to complete this swap and handle that power?
1. Transmission: Call Rodney at RPM Transmissions tomm and talk to him. http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/

He will hook you up with what you need as far as a T56 transmission

2. Clutch- arguably the three "best" choices for that kind of power are:
Spec 5
McLeod twin disc
Texraillia

These clutches are made to hold the power. I personally have the McLeod twin, and it feels like stock. I have heard the same about the Spec 5 and Texrallia from people who have those clutches.

3. You will also need:
M6 center console
M6 pedal assembly
M6 hydraulics system- slave, master cyl., etc
Shifter
M6 harness OR splice your A4 harness- search for that info
PCM has to be flashed- dealership is the only way to change your VIN. I hope you know someone who works for GM
M6 trans crossmember?
T56 trans mount
Longer/shorter? driveshaft

I think thats it, someone correct me if I am wrong

This is a fairly involved swap. Good luck!

Andy
Old 03-12-2006, 09:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

wow thanks for the info. Exactly what i needed to know! Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

You won't need a longer driveshaft and you wont need to know someone at GM. All you need is a tuner who can flash the ecm. Most of the tuner's can input your vin by editing the flash file before flashing your ecm. I had my flashed and no problems. Wiring is kinda a bitch and forget about cruise control and reverse lockout. You have to tap the ecm and I am not about to go through that crap of running wires from my tranny to the ecm. Everything else works fine and reverse lockout it is hard to get it into reverse so slammin reverse while ripping gears i wouldn't even worry about it.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

who has successful went from a4 to m6. how much of a hassle was it?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dirty2kTA
who has successful went from a4 to m6. how much of a hassle was it?

I did this 1 1/2 months ago. 3 of us tackled this job not having any experience doing this before. But between the 3 of us, we've done plenty of DIY projects. Tons of cam swaps, heads, you name it we've done it. By just looking at the threads in here, and a couple of write-ups, we sucessfully did it in 3 days. We ran into a couple of minor problems (slave problems, forgot bearings and on weekends was hard to get) it wasn't that bad. We could have easily got it done in less then 2 days. Just follow the writeup's and it should be a breeze. Hardest part was breaking down the bottom dash and getting the pedals in. Just make sure to take out the column as it gives a lot more room to work with.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

can you give me some detail about the pedal assembly, and the sensors that have to be changed?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No words of advice for the pedal assembly. Just take your time and be patient when trying to get everything lined up. Even with the column out, it was very hard to see what was going on when connecting everything up on the back of the clutch.

As for the sensors, I was able to swap my harness for a M6 harness which made it a lot easier. I would recommend trying to find a M6 guy wanting to go to an A4, that way you can just take everything you need and swap them over. But if you can't, the information in the sticky thread above was all we needed when it came to wiring everything up.

I still have one problem left though which is my cruise control isn't working. I know the problem but just haven't got underneath there and fixed it yet.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

i found someone in dallas that im going to swap with. the motor is out of my car right now so im debating on leaving it out... im thinkin it i will easier that way. my car has traction control.. i dont know if his does. this will be an experiance. thanks for you help
Old 03-14-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea having the motor out would be a lot easier especially running the harness. Good luck with the swap, it's really not that hard.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Launching!

what exactly were ur problems with reverse?
Old 03-14-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problems with reverse. Here are a list of problems that we ran into. I guess they could help others out if I posted them.

1. Original slave busted when putting the tranny back in. I guess the shim wasn't correctly in place and when we started bleeding it, pressure built up and cracked it. Point taken here, make sure to have the shim in place or you will have bleeding problems. We had drop the tranny 3 different times to find out this was the problem after we were getting no pressure on the clutch when trying to bleed it.

2. Forgot that we needed a pilot bearing. Hard to find at local autoparts stores. Thank god we found someone with one in the area.

3. Tools, tools, tools. I swear it was like every little thing that we needed we didn't have. Make sure to have a sawzaw. I bought a metal grinder to cut the hole, but sparks will fly everywhere. Almost caught the interior on fire from it. lol Make sure you have wire for all the wiring along with connectors. Have a 1 1/2" hole saw for drilling for the master cylinder. Things that we didn't think of at first and had to drive to stores to look for all this stuff. Could have easily saved us about 3-4 hrs with the swap if we had everything ready.

4. My exhaust was welded before so that was a big pita when dropping the tranny so many times. Make sure that everything is perfect before clamping/welding the exhaust back up. You should see mine now, I have about 5-6 clamps on my exhaust right now. lol

5. Cruise control is not working still along with a SES light for a clutch position switch. I know what the problem of this is which is I forgot one connector on the back of the clutch. Without this being hooked up cruise control will not work, same reason why I am getting a SES light. Just need to figure out where to wire it to.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not very hard if you have the tools - but time consuming.
I did it in 3 steps: first the pedals then the tranny, then the rear end.
In the sticky on top of this section you'll find everything you need.
I kept the A4 harness: no problems with that.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok so after i complete this swap my car will be like an M6 from the factory, work identical and have all the same options? Or are there some that wont be possible to get? Id really like it to be just like the factory, etc.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Superman09
ok so after i complete this swap my car will be like an M6 from the factory, work identical and have all the same options? Or are there some that wont be possible to get? Id really like it to be just like the factory, etc.
As long as you get the pedals, console, harness, etc.....yes it will be like from the factory. I mean, unless anyone knew you did it, it would be hard to tell it wasn't factory I guess?!? Is that what you are getting at?

Andy
Old 03-15-2006, 05:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well what i am wondering is, is it possible to get every option with the swap. Like for example something about reverse lockout and traction control were said. Id like to have all the options like reverse lockout. I dont really need cruise control as i dont use it much anyhow. Traction control isnt totally necessary either as i try not to drive my car in bad weather and thats only when i'd need it. However since i will be a new M6 driver, id like reverse lockout so i dont accidently throw it in R. haha. So what im getting at, what options are not possibl to get with the swap? Unless they all are. Thanks!