Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

DIY turbo builders inside...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY turbo builders inside...

im in the middle of my rear mount right now. I was wondering what some of you homemade guys are doin for your own builds.

-What kind of setup on your pcv?
-Can i run without an oil pressure switch? if not who makes a similar system to the sts kit? (vacuum solenoids and the like?)
-have check valves solved/controlled most of your oil problems (if your using them)?
-What kind of pump have you been running? how loud?

Im just lookin for some details of some of your builds. Ive got a 60trim with a tial wg, turbo xs bov, feed line coming off oil filter, return goes to valve cover, mocal pump is mounted back at the rear diff (its loud). basically a duplicate of sts kit. check valves in the oil lines to prevent pooling overnight. I also have my MAF mounted up by the TB instead of below. This should be fine right?
My boost/vacuum reference is from the break booster hose. Isnt that diff on the sts kits?
thanks alot and pics would def be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

51 views? cmon any help?
Old 03-10-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

JAvenger007 51 views? cmon any help?

haha..dont you hate that!?

You do not need an oil pressure switch..Tap off of the fitting above the oil filter(you will get the most pressure here but can cut it down back by the turbo)

You are right with the check valve before the turbo to prevent it pooling in while its not running. I also put a flow control valve in my line...(place checkvalve first and then control valve, in other words, control valve closest to turbo) The flow control valve helped GREATLY!!

I am also running the mocal pump. It is loud, but its not like you can hear it when your driving (atleast I cant). Plus its kinda nice to know your pump is still working.

Your maf placement is fine..just make sure your bov goes before the maf... bov-maf-tb

hope this helps
Old 03-11-2006, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i opened it up thinking front mount, then saw rear mount
you should have specified rear mount diy'er
Old 03-13-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i opened it up thinking front mount, then saw rear mount
you should have specified rear mount diy'er
sorry smokin.

fletch thanks for the tips. Just what im lookin for. I figured once the car is up and runnin the mocal wont be too big of a deal. There was a time i had an incredibly loud hiflo on my 88 bird and i got used to it quick.

Im still workin on pcv stuff. Did you use some sort of pressure switch? I guess something that can detect 1 psi and will open to vent boost to atmos and not boost the crankcase. oh and whered you pick up that flow control valve?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
im in the middle of my rear mount right now. I was wondering what some of you homemade guys are doin for your own builds.

-What kind of setup on your pcv?
-Can i run without an oil pressure switch? if not who makes a similar system to the sts kit? (vacuum solenoids and the like?)
-have check valves solved/controlled most of your oil problems (if your using them)?
-What kind of pump have you been running? how loud?

Im just lookin for some details of some of your builds. Ive got a 60trim with a tial wg, turbo xs bov, feed line coming off oil filter, return goes to valve cover, mocal pump is mounted back at the rear diff (its loud). basically a duplicate of sts kit. check valves in the oil lines to prevent pooling overnight. I also have my MAF mounted up by the TB instead of below. This should be fine right?
My boost/vacuum reference is from the break booster hose. Isnt that diff on the sts kits?
thanks alot and pics would def be appreciated.
when you say rear mount you doing a rmt setup where the turbo is in the rear or what

definitly run your return to the oil pan!!!!!!!!

check valves in the feedlines? never heard of that never had a prob ever.

you can run your boost gauge off any engine vaccum source

i think a walbro255 would be good enough
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea its a sts type rear mounted setup.
why do you suggest running the return to the oil pan vs the valve cover?
the check valves are used to prevent pooling of oil into the turbo while the car sits for long periods of time.

im still wondering about that pcv setup...
Old 03-15-2006, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

well not sure how often ur gonna drive it so idk. i just never heard of check vaves.

the oil return to the pan should be a given its the engines only source of lubrication and you don't wanna starve the pick up. just a suggestion. i'd never run it anywhere else

pcv i'd run to a catch can the to the compressor inlet
Old 03-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Restricted User

yea return to the oil pan...tap it and put in a decent size npt fitting. i just finished a Vortech kit on my friends T/A and the return is tapped into the pan around the filter as well. nicer and more efficient in my opinion.

And about the pcv i have no i idea either im doin the same thing u are more or less and i duno what to do or if to do anything at all with the pcv system lol.. other than that i think u should be good, u have everything down pretty much...

Oh and to comment about the check valves they're used so oil wont keep flowing to the turbo when the cars off(pooling like u said),since our oil lines still have alittle pressure some might get in the turbo, and if u didnt know the seals in a turbo dont really SEAL unless the turbos spinning (causes them to expand and do their job) so in other words if a turbos not running, the seals arent sealing, -it might get the car to start smokin like a **** or mess the turbo internals up very quickly

well good luck and keep posting about the PCV situation..cuz i wanna know too lol
Old 03-16-2006, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fenix99
yea return to the oil pan...tap it and put in a decent size npt fitting. i just finished a Vortech kit on my friends T/A and the return is tapped into the pan around the filter as well. nicer and more efficient in my opinion.

And about the pcv i have no i idea either im doin the same thing u are more or less and i duno what to do or if to do anything at all with the pcv system lol.. other than that i think u should be good, u have everything down pretty much...

Oh and to comment about the check valves they're used so oil wont keep flowing to the turbo when the cars off(pooling like u said),since our oil lines still have alittle pressure some might get in the turbo, and if u didnt know the seals in a turbo dont really SEAL unless the turbos spinning (causes them to expand and do their job) so in other words if a turbos not running, the seals arent sealing, -it might get the car to start smokin like a **** or mess the turbo internals up very quickly

well good luck and keep posting about the PCV situation..cuz i wanna know too lol
thanks for clearing up the check valve stuff. i knew how the turbo seals sealed

also the return line/oil pan fitting should be no smaler then a 10AN fitting, i believe thats a 1/2in

also weld it, forget tapping you don't want no leaks
Old 03-16-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

fenix, for pcv basically you just need a pressure/check valve in front of the pcv valve that will open at 1psi and vent off the boost, preventing the crankcase from boosting. I saw a write up of a turbo build and the guy used just a check valve but i wasnt sure how it worked, if it vented to atmos or just blocked the boost?

STS kits use a switch valve which activates at 1psi and has a filter to vent out boost. So what could be used that is similar?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

not sure why the ls1 pcv system is so difficult, i really need to start messin with one.\

but another idea, you can cut the pcv valve so all the insides fall out stick it back in the valve cover, run a line from it threw a filter and to the compressor housing
Old 03-16-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
fenix, for pcv basically you just need a pressure/check valve in front of the pcv valve that will open at 1psi and vent off the boost, preventing the crankcase from boosting. I saw a write up of a turbo build and the guy used just a check valve but i wasnt sure how it worked, if it vented to atmos or just blocked the boost?

STS kits use a switch valve which activates at 1psi and has a filter to vent out boost. So what could be used that is similar?

It doesn't vent the boost to atmosphere, it blocks the boost from coming past the valve and vents the crank case to atmosphere went the 1psi pressure switch is activated.

Quick Reply: DIY turbo builders inside...