LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So am I asking for trouble here?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So am I asking for trouble here?

I'm getting very close to begining the operation of my heads and cam package. My car has almost 97k on it, and it is very well maintained. All the mods are in the sig along with a built tranny. I'm not going to spin it any higher than 6400 RPMs. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little worried about breaking something. I had it out toinght and it ran so well. In about a week I'm going to be pushing the button and tearing into this motor....I'm scared. Tell me its going to be fun, and the car is going to be a lot faster.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the same thing. My car has 103K. I would advise on a new Posi rear-end. You will blow it apart if you have bigger tires. If you haven't done it already, you will. I blew mine apart before the cam, with just headers and boltons.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You will not break anything. Be patient, keep the dirt out. Get bigger injectors and tuning. Go to the track. Do you have a high stall convertor? Don't put it back together with out one.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What heads and cam are you going with?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just pay attention to the condition of the cam bearings and you will be fine as long as the install is done right.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Take your time, keep everything CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN

Block off all ports or anything exposed with blue lint-free shop rags. When the timing cover is off, cover up the oil pan hole, etc things like that. Do everything right and do it clean, and you will be fine.

I was in your same boat...and a month ago I had my engine apart for the cam install. Did I regret it when the whole thing was apart and I disassembled it for no reason except to go faster when it ran perfect? Yes....do I regret it now? NO!

Go for it and have fun!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

I will be in your shoes here in a couple months but I know right now that everything is going to be better after the install. So it makes me smile thinking about more POWER!!
Old 03-11-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

I am going with an AI heads/cam. It's their street port that sells for about $1095. All new valvetrain including:

New Springs (obviously)
Pro Magnum 1.6 Rocker Arms
7/16 High Energy Studs
Hardened Pushrods
Hardened Steel Guide Plates

I am most likely going to resurface my stock lifters. Since I'm not only the one that pushes the limits, it gives me a little more sense of security. Thanks for the responses so far.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

ive been think of just doing a small cam in mine with all new valvetrain... mine has like 177K on it... but it has good pressure all the way through and good flow to the rockers... do you guys think it would not be a good idea to do this with so many miles??? or as long as it gets good oil will it be fine...im working on another motor later.. i just want alittle more power now... plus its getting a new opti and WP... so i thought why not...
thanks guys...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So am I asking for trouble here?