Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing/Painting SLP HO hood Nostrils

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing/Painting SLP HO hood Nostrils

My t/a has a slp ho hood. The nostril grills' paint kind of sucks. It has faded a bit and is missing a little paint. I was wondering is there anyway to pull out the nostrils so that I could paint them away from the car? It would be a lot easier than doing all the masking work.

Also, Ive never had good luck painting grills. The weird angles makes it hard to prep and the paint doesn't stick.

Can anyone recommend me a good method for painting them and what paint to use?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the grills in the nostrils are only held in place with some double sided tape. you need some kind of a tool with a hook to it to pull them away from the hood. go slow though, if you hook one side and just pull, you will bend and warp them and have a hell of a time putting them back in. they are metal, not plastic, so sanding them wont put hellacious grooves in them. ive painted mine about half a dozen times. each time ive sanded, and that seems to help. i like mine silver but im not set on having that as my permanent color yet. i had a friend who is a painter lay down this silver on it. it was just a quick job, and i didnt put anytime into sanding like i should have. heres some pics:

all i can say is make sure you put a few layers of clear on!!!! if you dont, you will get chips pretty fast and it will look like crap. also, get a small foam bush and some flat black and paint inside the hood when the grills are out. mine had all kinds of chips in there and it looked like crap.